Palms to Pines


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego » La Jolla
August 9th 2008
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday
Woke early to set off to San Diego, but Gra couldn't resist trying the breakfast menu at Carlow's and as we were due to be on the go all day I wasn't saying no to a spinach and mushroom omelette either. On the way to San Diego there was a scenic driving route called palms to pines highway. It was a windy and very scary road, but the views were really worth it. At the top of this mountain pass we headed to Lake Hemet to cool down and stretch our legs. Although I had wanted to get to Idyllwild it was just too far North of the route so we headed West and thats when it all went wrong!! With me driving and not taking note of the road signs, simply following Myra's (our Sat Nav) every instruction. We ended up just 10 miles East of Los Angeles!! 2 hours out from San Diego. So Gra took over and we set off back on track for San Diego, but apparently at this time so did the rest of LA as the traffic was awful.

At about 7pm we got to La Jolla, a beautiful beach and cove just North of San Diego. We were just in time to walk along the coastal path and out to a beach area called Children's beach . Children's beach was originally created to give kids a safe place to paddle and swim, but more recently it's been taken over by the local seals. Every evening at sunset they swim up onto the shore and rest there while tourist, locals and seal protection groups all watch on. We were lucky to see this as it's obviously not in any guide book. We also had chance to watch the sunset over the ocean, which was truly spectacular, and the most expanse of water we had seen in a while!!

Eventually we got to Santee where we were staying, a town just outside San Diego. The bonus after a long day of traveling was the Olive Garden, a yummy Italian restaurant.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb