San Diego - Balboa Park and Coronado


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego » Coronado
February 12th 2009
Published: February 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Calm Clear WatersThe Calm Clear WatersThe Calm Clear Waters

At Balboa Park
It was our last full day in San Diego before heading north to LA to catch the plane to NZ. We decide to go to Balboa Park - we'd seen it in guidebooks and heard about it but weren't sure exactly what it was, however it was right next to the zoo so at least we knew where to go. We manage to find a space in the increasingly busy carpark and follow a few people who seem to know where they are going. We walk dowm the side of a building and out into a pedestrianised street, lined with mock old decoratve buildings and fountains and gardens. Quite a surprise! The mock old buildings are all museums too, housing different collections.There were little cafes and gardens - formal, botanical and japenese and the place had a lovely tranquil, serene air about it - inspite of the number of people already there. One of the formal gardens reminded me of a monastery - except for the absence of monks with it's Ilittle walled plots divided by box hedges and fountains in the crossroads of the paths. Could have stayed there a long time. There was a church (although I'm not sure if actual services were held there) and at 12 noon, the bells chimed in the song of "So this is love" (which, those Disney fans will know is in Cinderella, when she is dancing with the prince) We walked past a large raised pool, in front of the botanical gardens where the water was really still and there were fabulous reflections of the sky and buildings opposite. We decided to move on after spying (and hearing) a large group of girls on some kind of trip and the peace was temporarily shattered. After more time soaking up the calming effect, we headed back to the car to go on to the next place - Coronado.

Coronado is almost an island, joined to the mainland, just south of San Diego by a small strip of land, there is a large bridge over to it from Downtown Dan Diego. It's a pity that you can't get off halfway across as the views across the sea and looking back towards the highrise buildings of downtown San Diego are spectacular. We get over the bridge and head towards the beach on the pacific side where the large Coronado Hotel is based. Well the
Another formal GardenAnother formal GardenAnother formal Garden

At Balboa Park
beach was spectacular - we parked up near to the naval base on the north side and walked along the beach towards the hotel - such a vast expanse of sand, sea, sky and space. Breathtaking. We walked down to the hotel and had a last lunch at their beach cafe which was very plush - marble centre tables with a circle in the middle to light a fire, but the cheekiest airborne guests ever - they looked like starlings to me - can you get starlings in America? Well whatever they were, they woud eat right out of your hands if you let them and any sign of food would have them all coming down and perching on surrounding parasols, tables and posts, watching with eagle eyes, every morsal that's on the table.

After a few hours there, we head back towards the motel to prepare the last supper, pack and try and get some sleep for the long journey the next day.

photos to follow - internet connection is painfullly slow.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Coronado beachCoronado beach
Coronado beach

Fab Picture - apparently "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe was filmed at the old hotel in this shot - it's cone shaped with a red roof.
Down Town San DiegoDown Town San Diego
Down Town San Diego

From Coronado
Coronado BridgeCoronado Bridge
Coronado Bridge

It's really high and fab views (Paul wasn't that keen on driving over it)


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb