A Visit with the West Coast Family


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Disclaimer: For our friends in Maryland and Michelle's extended Carroll Family you will have to indulge me with this post. There are no cool pictures of beautiful landscapes, no motorcycle rides, no caves to explore, no open roads to drive. This week was all about getting reacquainted with the West Coast family and that we have accomplished. Before we get started let me explain: We are the six decedents of Barbara Ann Barton: Four Jordan's (Ray, Sharon, Karen and Danny) and Two Thomas' (David and Dennis). We have always been held together by the common thread that is a deep love for our mother and we will always be brothers and sisters. Michelle and I had not been in town five minutes when my phone started buzzing: "I understand there has been a Ray and Michelle sighting" was the message from my sister. We had not even checked into the Shingle Springs KOA and they knew we had arrived for our first visit in 8 years. You think you live in a small town. Seems that my brother David was on the highway as we were driving in, recognized the truck and RV from the pictures on the blog and spread the word to the other five. From day one it was on - dinner at The Pizza Factory owned and operated by brother David and his wife Terri. The next night was a wonderful dinner at sister Sharon's home prepared by her roommate, Chef Henry, a local chef that gave up his day off to work at home. The next night was "Adult" dinner hosted by brother Dennis and his lovely wife Wendy in their beautiful home in the woods. The next day was an open invitation for all the extended family including nieces and nephews and their kids, some we had never met, to Dennis and Wendy's for a Family Picnic/Reunion. The next day were visits to the RV Park to see how we normally live and the process of helping the sisters move into the KOA for a few days so we could continue to visit. There were many late nights (at least for us), much food was eaten, much beer and wine was consumed, many stories were told, many family photos were taken, and much reminiscing was done. I have to say that Michelle and I were both overwhelmed by the reception we received. We had expected to blow into town, do a little visiting and move on toward Alaska but thanks in large part to Dennis and Wendy graciously opening their home to everyone and spending hours preparing so much delicious food we were able to reconnect with the whole Fam Damnly. We can not thank them enough for their wonderful hospitality. So we left Placerville a little fatter but very happy and moved a short distance to Vacaville where we plan to meet-up with Michelle's Brother Dennis for a couple days. And then, we are off to Oregon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



4th May 2016
Ray and Michelle

:) Moving on.
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Give little brother a big hug for me xoxox
5th May 2016

Family Days
WOW what a family reunion. It is nice to finally meet the wonderful family you speak of back here in Maryland. I already know Dan from visiting his home and when he came to "The Wall". Sounds like some some good stories were told over great food and drinks. I have heard Michelle talk about Dennis also. Happy trails in Oregon
6th May 2016

Fun for all!
It was so great to spend time with you two. I retire in about in about 7 years......can I borrow the RV??
9th May 2016

Great family pics - loved seeing them
Ray, So glad you had a wonderful visit with your family. The pics were great......
11th May 2016

Best post on the blog thus far.
12th May 2016

Thanks
Thanks John. Glad you liked it and hope you are enjoying all the posts as much as I have enjoyed putting them together.
18th May 2016

What a blessing!
It makes my heart so happy to see the family all together like this. Obviously I wish I was there, but through the years, and the coast to coast distance, it's so nice to see the love you all have for this family.
18th May 2016

Good to hear from you
Wanted to let you know that I got your voicemail but our coverage in Canada is spotty at best and expensive when we have connection. Will give you a call when we reach Alaska. Doing good today, right on schedule at Fort Nelson traveling the Alaska Highway.
18th May 2016

Sonja would ike to talk to you
Sonja reached out when she visited and would like to reconnect.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb