Planning a California Road Trip? Take the California State Route 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Orange County
February 10th 2015
Published: February 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

There’s a popular song about getting “your kicks on Route 66” but how about having some fun on California State Route 1?



If you fancy experiencing California by road then the State Route 1 could be the answer. Plan your road trip through the Golden State by choosing this legendary coastal road that is also known as Highway 1, and in its various sections, as the Shoreline Highway, Cabrillo Highway or the Pacific Coast Highway.

Designated an All-American Road, the State Route 1 is widely regarded as one of the most picturesque drives in North America, taking in mile after mile of rocky coastline with stunning views over the Pacific Ocean.





Dana Point in Orange County

The California State Route 1 begins at the Interstate 5 near Dana Point in Orange County.

After leaving Dana Point, State Route 1 heads north along the coast through Laguna Beach and Crystal Cove State Park.

Because the Pacific Coast Highway provides easy access to beaches along the coastline, it is a very popular road with many tourists who come to enjoy the Californian sunshine.





Popularity of a highway leads to increased traffic and of course to drive safely, as well as making sure you do not get into any legal trouble, you will need to have passed a California DMV written test.

Route 1 goes through Newport Beach, where it becomes known as simply the Coast Highway, before reaching Huntington State Beach and Bolsa Chica State Beach.





Last stop in Orange County is Seal Beach, and the highway then enters Los Angeles State.




Los Angeles and Ventura County



The Pacific Coast Highway passes through many notable destinations including Santa Monica and Malibu before entering Ventura County and then on to Santa Barbara.

Much further along the highway enters the Central Coast area and the Big Sur where it crosses the historic Bixby Creek Bridge.


U.S. Route 101




The Route 1 and Route 101 run as the same road in some sections, which can be confusing. This happens with a stretch of highway running through Ventura, Santa Barbara and over the Golden Gate Bridge.


Golden Gate Bridge




California’s world-famous Golden Gate Bridge which links San Francisco with Marin County is one of the many highlights of your road trip.

The Golden Gate Bridge is one of the most photographed bridges in the whole world.

After entering Marin County, Highway 1 parts company with Route 101 but eventually joins it again when it ends up in Mendocino County where it terminates outside Leggett the town where you can drive through a tree. It is worth driving a bit further just for this experience!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb