We Could Stand a Little Rain


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Oakland
October 14th 2009
Published: October 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A little rain anyone?A little rain anyone?A little rain anyone?

The freeway was a water floom
One of the things that is anticipated in the Bay Area each year is the first rain of the season. There are distinct seasons here. From mid to late April until the first of November, it is completely dry. It does not rain a single day. Then, in November, it rains quite a lot in non drought years. The dry season is also thought of as the fire season. The first rain therefore is looked upon almost with a sigh of relief. "We've made it through without burning again." As with most changes of the season, there is a certain amount of confusion when the weather turns inclement. In St. Louis, when we get our first inch of snow, the city is paralized. At least initially until everyone eases up on the panic button. So it is here when the first rain hits. However, yesterday would have deserved the panic button even mid-season. We kept hearing that it was going to rain. What was not heard was that it would be a gale force storm. Winds clocked in some places at 70mph. In parts of Marin County (just north of the Golden Gate Bridge) they had 7 inches of rain come down in 6 hours. In Sonoma County where we are staying, it was closer to four inches. Santa Cruz had evacuations due to concerns over mudslides in areas where it did burn this summer. It was crazy. And of course yesterday was my first school visit for the work I'm doing out here. Did I mention, the school was 60+ miles away and the appointment was during the height of the storm. Crazy. Fortunately, I was able to drive Ali and Bill's Prius. It handled just fine. If I'd taken Ruby G, I probably would have been blown off the Richmond Bridge right into the bay.
Today, the sun is back out and life is good. I did, however, have to admonish Ali when she voiced concern about the possible humidity when we went for a hike. She's never experienced summer in St. Louis. So that was the first storm of the season. Did someone say, "el niƱo"?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb