Tuesday 4th October


Advertisement
Published: October 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today was our last journey between campsites, 70 miles to Newport Dunes Resort. Most of the drivers were feeling a little apprehensive about driving through Los Angeles, particularly as they had seen how busy the roads were when we went in on our bus trip. One by one we left the campsite, with a variety of different routes having been suggested and discussed. In reality, the journey was not as terrible as had been envisaged, although travelling along a 10 lane highway was definitely a first for us. Just sit in one of the middle lanes and pray!! We had considered calling at Long Beach to see the Queen Mary, but the number of lorries heading that way caused us to revert to plan B and get south of Los Angeles as quick as we could.

We drove past Seal Beach and Sunset Beach and then reached Huntington Beach. There were many car parks,but none appeared to be suitable for an RV. Then we spotted a possibility and persuaded the attendant that at only 22 feet we could pass as a car and pay car rates. We made lunch and sat opposite a deserted beach to eat. Then we decided to walk into Huntington along the sand, as we read in our guidebook it was a well-known surfing destination. On reaching the main street we found that just like Hollywood, this town had a star studded pavement, but here the stars were surf champions. We located the local surf museum and the lady at the reception desk was very insistent that we watched the film on show. This was depicting the world record attempt which the town achieved, when they managed to get 65 people standing surfing on one board for over 10 seconds. On returning to Ellie we found that our deserted beach was now busy, with many people playing volleyball on the designated courts. The Americans seem to start work really early and consequently finish work early, giving them more leisure time.

We needed to find a petrol station again, as we had been advised to fill up today to save time on our last trip, delivering the RV's back to the depot. This was accomplished, although not without a drive around the block, as every petrol station always seems to be on the opposite side of the road.

On arriving on site - last again - we were informed that our planned barbeque on the beach had been changed to a barbeque next to the vans, as no alcohol was allowed on the beach. As this was our last night of catering for ourselves, everybody pooled together all their leftovers and we managed to concoct a marvellous spread, which everyone enjoyed.

Tomorrow is our final day followed by our farewell dinner in the local restaurant, so the next blog will be delayed as we also have to pack and clean Ellie.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb