Monterey Penninsula


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
October 23rd 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

The 18th at BayonetThe 18th at BayonetThe 18th at Bayonet

Picture doesn't do the course justice, it was superb.
Geo: 36.5979, -121.874

Super weather here in Monterey, not like the foggy conditions we used to get! Forecast is to stay this way until we leave on Sat for Palm Springs with Bob and Connie.

On Wed Dwayne, Bob and I played golf at the Bayonet course in Fort Ord. This used to be an Army base but is now all civilian - a product of the peace dividend after 1989. The course has been renovated and now is as good as any I have played. They've cleared out the pine needles in the rough and thinned out and pruned the trees. There's plenty of elevation changes and no two fairways are parallel to each other. Many of the holes have views of Monterey Bay - it was beautiful! I found the greens fast and tough to read and the long rough grass grows right up beside the edge of the green. I hit the ball very well but my score didn't match - no matter, it was great fun.

We play the Navy Course on Thu, then back to Fort Ord to play the Black Horse course on Fri.

Robyn, Jo and Connie are shopping and touristing, and visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium yesterday.
Bayonet/Black Horse ClubhouseBayonet/Black Horse ClubhouseBayonet/Black Horse Clubhouse

Lots of eating and drinking (and bar snacks). Sadly, I can feel my girth expanding.
It has become more focussed on conservation and less on tourism. Our old home on 17 Mile Drive has had a facelift and looks good from the road.

Dinner on Wed at Jack London's in Carmel - another old favourite. It was a little disappointing. We stuck our nose into Clint Eastwood's bar, the Hog's Breath Inn (now owned by others) and it looked unchanged and very inviting.

The Kansas City Royals gave the Giants a flogging. Now one-all and the next three games are in San Francisco, where Dwayne hopes the Giants will end up winning 4-1.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Monterey Bay AquariumMonterey Bay Aquarium
Monterey Bay Aquarium

One big octopus, who could unscrew a jar to get at the treats inside.
Herrmann Hall, NPSHerrmann Hall, NPS
Herrmann Hall, NPS

With the separate East Wing accommodation building on the right.
Ingersoll HallIngersoll Hall
Ingersoll Hall

Where most of my classes and lecturers were. I stopped by the Dean's office to ask about the prize plaque that includes my name. Mary Lou, the Dean's secretary, remembered it and is going to look it up and call me. There is an Aussie RAN Capt lecturer at the Dept and she called him for me, but he wasn't in yet. PS. The award is still presented but the plaque is no longer on display.
Another viewAnother view
Another view

I don't remember this pool 30 years ago. A change for the better!
Inside Herrmann HallInside Herrmann Hall
Inside Herrmann Hall

The Hotel Del Monte was built in 1880 and twice all but destroyed by fire. The Navy purchased the hotel and its 627 acres of land and established the NPS in 1951.
Hog's Breath Hog's Breath
Hog's Breath

Little changed from 30 years ago. This was the first time we had seen outdoor gas heaters used.


Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb