Drive to Monterey


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Castroville
October 21st 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.7633, -121.74

Last minute shopping and item returns this morning. We're off after lunch on the two-hour drive to Monterey, checking in to the Bachelor Officer Quarters accommodation at the Naval Postgraduate School.

Had a little trouble getting into the NPS as security has been tightened up. Dwayne arrived in his car after a few minutes and signed us in for a temporary pass so we can now come and go unescorted. The rooms in Herrmann Hall are palatial but spartan, but terrific value at $78 per night. They are still officer's quarters for single officers at the school, but the rooms are also available to retired military on a hotel style arrangement, booking no more than 30 days in advance. Revisited the Trident bar downstairs, now an action place with beer at $13 a six-glass pitcher and limitless bar snacks.

Had drinks and massive bar snacks, followed by two tiny tacos at El Torito on Cannery Row. This was one of our favourite bar/restaurants for margaritas and watching the sea life - otters and sea lions. We had a very jolly time but it became obvious that the margaritas had little of no alcohol in them. Ah well, they didn't cost much. We did see an otter so all is right in the world. Then kicked on to the Chart House for more drinks that we didn't need. The first game of the World Series baseball (best of 7) was on and the San Francisco Giants had an easy win.

Advertisement



21st October 2014

I have great memories of spending time with you in Monterey ...in1984 ....30 years ago ....See if you can spot an otter for me ...Cheers,Lowie
22nd October 2014

I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy your visit to the Naval College at Monterey it will bring back so many happy memories. I remembers very fondly our holiday there with you 30 years ago. Dad

Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb