Bigger Mountains


Advertisement
Published: March 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Gilly managed to blag a late breakfast at Best Western in Bishop - so even though we slept in we took advantage of the complementary grub...

Eventually found our accommodation in Mammoth - the town is buried under 16 feet of snow and the entrance to the hostel looks like the doorway to a igloo!!

The owner and her friends arrived at the same time as we did and it looked as if we would be spending the week with the Golden Girls - the actually turned out to be really nice and a lot of fun. We were finally able to cook for ourselves after a week of eating out for nearly every meal - simple things really do make to happy - like soup for tea and being able to unpack your rucksac instead of climbing over everything!!!

Once again we have been really lucky as the slope are quiet - 20000 ski and ride here at weekend and through the week this drops to about 5000 and there are so many runs that you have time and space - even my tighter turns are getting better....tried riding through the trees only to be rewarded with a major face plant in a huge snow bank....did some blue/blacks - not so comfortable on the black runs. Also made it to June Lake where it is even quieter..

Had our first major night out - went out with one of lads from the hostel - made it to one bar and got no further - vodka was really cheap and strangely enough the hike back up the hill to the hostel didn't take nearly as long as the trip downhill - or maybe that just me....

Needless to say the next day on the slopes was not particularly successful - I left after a couple of hours and Gilly kept going as she wanted to ski some more of the black runs on the other side of the mountain - she is definitely more fearless than me on snow....

The original plans for a happy hour outing did not materialise....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb