Working at June


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Mammoth Lakes
December 19th 2006
Published: December 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

JuneJuneJune

Views from the lift
Well after arriving in Mammoth on Monday then spending Tuesday getting acquainted with the mountain (skiing wise), Wednesday was our first day of work at June Mountain (www.junemountain.com). The mountain is about 20 miles from Mammoth Lakes and takes about 35 minutes on the bus which arrives at our stop at 7:15am (ouch!).


June is a really nice little resort that attracts mostly locals and hardcore skiers/boarders, and it has one of the best freestyle parks (Jumps, halfpipe, rails etc) in the US. The ride up to the main building is a 10 minute lift ride that gives us some spectacular views of the surrunding mountains, it feels like we are in the heart of the European Alps rather than California!


Our first 2 days of work were pretty much all theory, our supervisor lecturing us on the risks involved and our duty of care etc as well as the technical side of actually operating the chair lifts. We also received talks on the history of the resort and about how to create a fun filled work environment, all pretty standard and boring stuff really which after a 6:20 get up wasnt any easier to stay awake for!


As it stands at the moment though we need about another two feet of snow for the mountain to actually open and there is only a limited amount of work available. We arent complaining at present as it gives us more time to ski but if we dont get some snow soonish we may have to make the dreaded call home to the parents!! (Only kidding 😊.) Mammoth has been really good about it though and has been putting on really nice big FREE dinners for all the employee's every weeknight as well as holding off on our rent until we get some more work!

Will update again as soon as possible, make sure you check out the video of june mtn - its awesome.

Aydan.


GO THE AUSSIES!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb