Indian Girl in America


Advertisement
Published: July 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Ieaching America was only a dream few months back. In the end of 2014, I have received an email from ConferenceAlert website regarding an International Conference on religion and spirituality at University of California, Berkeley, CA,USA. Being a Sociologist and having immense interest cum knowledge in world Religion, I have decided to send an abstract on 'OneGod:A Comparative study of world religion'.

After submitting the abstract, I started waiting anxiously for the approval. Few weeks later fortunately I have received acceptance/invitation letter for presenting my research paper at University of California. Now I was excited and bit nervous too, for I have heard from my friends regarding complexities in attaining US visa for Indian Muslim.

Applying for US visa was an uphill task, I hv consulted few travel agents and they were asking for hefty service fee which I thought was unnecessary because US Visa Application is Online and being a tech savvy it would be wrong if I ask travel agent to fill visa form for me. I should fill it myself, I have decided.

For a month I read all about US visa on Internet and when I was satisfied with my knowledge, I filled the form online by myself.

Now next step is to plan my US trip in which I can cover maximum part of the California along with Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.

Again I researched for a month About America and was virtually get acquainted with each and every place of California, Las Vegas and California.

When I received 10years US visa from the US Embassy, I was elated and blooming with joy. It was something impossible to attain for a girl like me.

After comparing tariffs from certain websites , finally I made bookings of return flights via Japan through Ana Airlines, hotel bookings via MakeMyTrip of Kawada Hotel, Downtown, LosAngeles and Holiday Inn Hotel near Union Square in SanFransisco.

For Airport Transfer I made online booking of Super Shuttle an American Company, which I found quite reasonable in cost.

For Las Vegas and Grand Canyon trip from Los Angeles I made booking via SeaGull Holidays of Los Angeles city.

SeaGull holidays was supposed to return me from LasVegas to LA. From where I have to go to SanFransisco for which I chose CA Shuttle Bus Service.

Now when all the bookings were made via online, all I need is to pack my bags for the 15days long trip to America.

Finally the big day arrived, and I board shatabdi train from Kanpur to NewDelhi. My flight timing was 1:30A.M. of 9April and I reached Delhi in the morning of 8April. I have enough time to kill before boarding a flight, keeping in mind the long and tiring hours of flight I have decided to take a room in hotel to rest all day long.

At paharganj area of Delhi which is known as LasVegas of Delhi due to its beaming glow sign boards of numerous hotels in the vicinity, I took a room in Tourist Depux Hotel for a day.

I slept the entire noon and at late evening hours went near Ajmeri Gate to have dinner. Its a quite good place to savour the delicacies of Delhi in reasonable price.

After dinner I rush back to the hotel, checked out and went to Ajmeri Gate via Rickshaw from where I have to board Airport Metro.

Reaching Airport I checked the flight schedule and came to know that the flight was delayed for an hour. I checked in, got my boarding passes and begin to explore the Airport Market in leisure hours.

I was bit nervous as I have been told by my friends that Custom checking at US Airport was very strict and sometimes they deport back the person they doubt. Though I was clean, still America was a big thing for me to reach safely.

During my flight from IGI Airport, New Delhi to Narita Airport,Tokyo I enjoyed the Japanese food and Japanese flicks on board.

It took 9 hour long and tedious flight to reach Japan for 2:30hours halt at Narita Airport. After clearing the Airport checking, I explored the Narita Airport Market for an hour and enjoyed the vision of Japanese people. Feeling tired and exhausted I lie down on one of the long chairs near my boarding gate to relax. For my sheer horror I felt asleep and woke up on the announcement of Final Boarding call of my Name. I was thanking God to woke me up at the last moment otherwise I won't imagine what I would have done if in case I missed the flight to America.

On the way to America I enjoyed the mesmering view of Clouds and Sea below me. I was enchanted with the view and spent hours in watching outside my window. I was extremely curious to experience the different time zone I was supposed to enter during my flight from Japan to LosAngeles.

Entering different time zone was an out of the world experience, I was actually going back in time and it gave me goose bumps in my stomach due to excitement.

After a long and tedious flight, I landed at LosAngeles Airport. It was so wonderful feeling my feet above the land of America. Finally I reached, this thought made me so contented.

Now I have to pass the customs clearance, and I was surprised when the officer asked me to come with him for further enquiry. I followed him obediently, and entered a secure cabin full of suspected travellers.

I was relieved to see two passengers from my flight there. I asked them what for we were here? They said the officer asked them for further verification. In the cabin there were three counters where officers were interrogation each suspects thouroughly. I was clean,though I was worried, what if they deport me back without any reason, coz I was not in a condition to travel anymore after this bone breaking, long and tiring journey.

Eventually one lady officer call my name, and asked me the purpose of my visit. I told her confidently that I am here to attend a conference and to explore the city. Miraculously she was satisfied with my answers and asked me to leave with a smiling face.

I hurriedly left the Airport and board super shuttle to reach hotel Kawada in Downtown area.

I checked into my room which was quite small and not at all airy, but due to flight exertion and jet lag I lie down on my bed and slept all day long. At 9:00 P.M I woke up due to hunger pangs.

I Went outside to search for some Indian restaurant, the black American guy on the front desk of my hotel gave me a map, instructing me to go to seventh Street for Indian food.


It was quite dark and creepy outside and chilled waves froze me to such an extent that after going two streets head , I dropped the idea of Indian restaurant and came back to my cozy hotel room. There I fed my stomach two slices of brown bread with cheese slice and fall asleep.

It was 3:00A.M. when I woke up, and started waiting anxiously for sun to rise, till 7:00AM. I dressed up and went out for city view. I found Venice city, Beverly hills, Hollywood and muscle beach amazingly beautiful.

Next day I spent my entire time at Disneyland and enjoyed a lot its adventurous rides and charming decor.

On third day earling morning I checked out boarded a taxi for China Gate from where I have to board my bus to Las Vegas. On the way to Vegas, I was so happy to experience the scenic location I used to see in most of the Hollywood movies. The desert and mountains captured my senses and took me to the reel world.
Reaching Vegas was so wonderful coz was actually witnessing the real Vegas outside the idiot box. I checked into my hotel, which was Circus Circus, having its own huge casinos and grant shopping centre. The night view of Vegas was astonishingly beautiful, the lights and jazzy aura of all the gorgeous buildings was dream like. Next day I left for Grand Canyon in Arizona state which was 5hours drive from Vegas.

Grand Canyon is one of the Natural Wonder in the world it was used to be a hiding place for native Americans in the past. It was now transformed in to a national park and tourists enjoyed its beauty via hiking and biking. It is so wide that I chose south rim to explore during my trip.

Same night I was back to Vegas and was so tired that after having dinner at Indian restaurant in Rivierra hotel which was in front of my Circus Circus hotel I explored the nearby place on foot and went back to my room to sleep as I have to board Bus early morning next day back to LA. On the way back to LA I stopped at Hoover Dam and was fascinated with the blue water of Colorado River.

It was early noon hours when I reached LA via bus and again checked in at Kawada Hotel, downtown area for a day as I have to leave next day for San Francisco.

Next morning I went to Santa Monica from where I have to board bus to SFO, the entire day was consumed in journey from LA to SFO. The scenic beauty of California is so ravishing that you don't want to miss it, all the time I was hooked watching outside the window of my bus.

Sun was set when we entered SFO, the bus dropped me at Hilton Hotel near Union Square, from where I prefer to walk to my hotel Holiday Inn which was nearby. I opened the map of SFO and navigate by asking Americans on the street.

Next morning I have boarded BART from BART station,Union Square to reach University of California, Berkeley. Today I have to present my research paper in front of Academicians from around the world at International Conference.

The University was so huge and was expanded in such a wide area that I have to board bus to reach my conference hall inside the university campus.

The paper presentation was quite successful and I was appreciated by the learned and experienced Academicians in the Conference Hall at University of California.

After the conference went back to the hotel, in the evening search for Indian restaurant with the help of map and found several at O'Farelle Street. having the food and Indian flavoured tea, I was charged enough to do little shopping for my last ved ones back home.

Next day I have bought the city pass from the International Tourist center and explored the piers, markets and famous spots of SFO via public transport.

Pier39, City Hall, Palace of Fine Arts, Golden Gate, Golden Gate park etc are to name a few places to be a must visit for every Tourist. The weather and happiness I found in SFO was incomparable.

Last day I covered the remaining important places of SFO and spent all my dollars on shopping.

#SabaYunus #TheGlobeTrotter


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb