Asia round up


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Note from cub reporter: Well unbelievably we are three quarters of the way through our epic journey. It's the forth of July, American Independence Day, and we are starting the next chapter in yet another continent. We are currently in Los Angeles catching our breath after a long haul from Japan with a plan to set off for Las Vegas in the morning. So time for a resume of our adventures in the Far East. Phuket disappointed us, we were expecting better but found it a contrast of upmarket and downright low market. Dirty, smelly rubbish strewn areas cheek by jowl with Swanky beach spas. Not for us and therefore no plans to ever return to Thailand. Bangkok much the same although we did visit some amazing venues. On to Vietnam and for the first time we joined a group tour. Up until this time we had been independent travellers so we had a few reservations. These proved unfounded. We met up with a dozen other like minded people of mixed ages (although sadly I was the senior member!) and had a great time. Each one added something positive to the adventure. Our tour was Vietnam and Cambodia and we loved the people, the places we visited the programmed activities and the unscheduled things that happened along the way. We would definitely go again. Next came China. We were really excited about China, another tour group, more new faces and the prospect of seeing some of the most iconic tourist attractions in the world. Bejing, the Great Wall, Tera cota army, Pandas, etc, etc. the sights were incredible, we found it hard to comprehend that we were actually seeing them in all their glory. But , and it was a big but, the level of facilities in all senses of the word were poor by modern day standards. We had been advised that we would encounter some basic amenities but we were not prepared for just how basic a lot of China would be. Sadly in the end we were only too glad to leave and move on to Hong Kong. So China ticked off the list. Been there, done it. Not going back. In complete contrast our final leg was Japan. We loved it. It was made all the more special as my son, Phillip, joined us and as it has been 8 months since I last saw him it was an emotional reunion. As we had only given ourselves 5 days in Japan we set a manic schedule . Tiring but very satisfying. Would recommend Japan to anyone considering going. Highlights, meeting some local kids in cambodia and ending up singing and dancing with them. They have so little but they were such happy people. Seeing the pandas, they were so playful. The city night scene of Hong Kong, just an amazing sight. And then the sheer luxury of japan after the austerity of China. All in all some fantastic never to be forgotten experiences shared with some lovely people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb