Day 12 - Downtown Los Angeles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
September 11th 2011
Published: September 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We're updating this a bit late again, again due to having no wifi in our room and having to move around, but we really didn't do much today - hence having no pictures on this update! We woke up at around 8:30 after not having the best night's sleep ever (there were quite a lot of sirens/horns blaring on the street below and our air conditioning unit decided that it would start making a really loud noise in the middle of the night).

We lazed around for a couple of hours just watching TV, as we didn't need to get ready for any certain time as our hotel didn't offer any free breakfast. By the time we had got ready to go out it was around 11:30 and we figured that we could have breakfast and dinner combined and save a bit of money. Whilst out walking around last night we had spotted a food place that had KFC, Carl's Jr (a burger place) and Green Burrito (a Mexican place) all next to each other. We had seen Carl's Jr advertised a few times on TV and Craig had decided that he wanted a burger from there.

Craig chose a Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger combo (which came with medium fries and a drink, but the 'medium' was huge!), whilst Emma went for a burrito from the Mexican counter. Craig's burger was huuge (see pictures), consisting of a bap, a layer of their special sauce, bacon, cheese, a burger, more bacon, more cheese, another burger, a layer of onion rings, another layer of special sauce and then the bottom part of the bap! Craig said that it tasted epic! Emma made a bit of a mess of her burrito after realising that she should have left on the wrapping to eat it. Instead, it kind of just fell apart and all the middle fell out onto the paper, but she scooped it up with some of Craig's fries!

After eating, our next mission was to find a McDonald's so that we could leech off their wifi again (the internet in the hotel wasn't working this morning for some reason), as we had arranged to talk with our families on Skype. Surprisingly, we could not find a McDonald's ANYWHERE in the middle of downtown LA, so we instead settled for a Starbucks. We took it in turns to chat on Skype to our families, although we could barely see the screen as we were sitting outside and the sun was reflecting off it - we had originally sat inside, but couldn't hear anything as they had music on.

Once we had finished on Skype, our next task for the day was to get some laundry detergent as today we needed to do some washing! On the way to Starbucks we had spotted a pharmacy place called Walgreen's, so we made a stop there We didn't really want a big heavy bottle of detergent, and Craig spotted a box of 22 little sheets that you put into the washing machine that contained detergent, softener and anti-static, suitable for all clothes and all machines - perfect! We paid for them and went back to the hotel, going up to our room to pick up our used clothes, and bringing them down to the laundry room.

We separated our whites, colours and darks and set the machines going, then went and sat in the common area to go on the netbook - thankfully, the internet was working again now! Once the machines had finished, we moved our clothes into the dryers and started them up, again waiting in the common area playing on the netbook. After about an hour and a half, our washing was all dry and ready to be folded up and put back in our cases. We figured if anything needed ironing, we would just iron it as we needed it, as they would probably get creased in our cases anyway.

By this point it was around 4:30-5:00pm, and we weren't hungry just yet, so we watched TV in our room for a couple of hours. By about 7pm, we were getting a little hungry, and we had already decided that we would try out the Chinese place that we had spotted yesterday. We both went for the pork riblets with our chow mein and rice, and it was delicious! The portions were very generous for the price (we paid around $3.50 each) and the riblets were very tender - yum yum yum!

Full to the brim, we went back to our room to just chill for the night and watch some TV (like Venice Beach, downtown LA is not really the best place to hang around after dark). Emma packed up her case ready to move in the morning whilst Craig decided that he would do his in the morning. Tomorrow, it's Vegas baby!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb