Odds and Ends


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
February 10th 2008
Published: February 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 18 (Again): Back in the States

Interesting enough, we landed in LA on the same day we left Thailand, a half an hour earlier. It's like time travel! This has been an amazing trip and I hope that anyone reading this gets the chance to experience what I've experienced in the last two weeks.

As a recap of the trip, we had some odds and ends to remember, things along the way we forgot to mention and things to know when visiting Thailand.....

1. Whoooo let the dogs out? (It's ok to sing along)
Ok, so what's up with all the stray dogs in Thailand. Everywhere you go, there are dogs...and no, there are no tags, leashes, collars, etc. on these dogs. At first I was a bit scared because I'm not a huge fan of dogs, they bite! However, these dogs pretty much leave you alone. They mostly are layed out sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk or wandering around.

2. I ate green rice at Cabbages and Condoms
The rice I had with my meal was green folks, yes, kind of like green eggs and ham but I had green rice and chicken! And like Mikey, I ate it and I liked it : )

3. I ate a banana wrapped in a waffle on a stick from a street vendor at a temple in Chang Mai because frankly well, they smelled so good!
It tasted goo also : )

4. Why is everyone wearing hospital masks?
We figured this one out very quickly! The smog in Thailand is awful. Oftentimes, after a day in Bangkok, you will blow black goodness out of your nose, gross! A lot of the motorcyclists and police directing traffic wear masks to provide a filter from the fumes.

5. If you step off the dirt path to find shade, you will get attacked by red ants
While bicycyling in Sukothai, Rachel thought it would be a good idea to park the bike under a tree. The first step off the dirt road led her right into a red ant hill and they attacked immediately. We got all of the red ants off of her and she was ok but what a scary thing to go through! What probably made it worse was the tour group enjoying the Wat nearby wondering why we were jumping and screaming. What would you think if you saw two girls, one with a can of bug spray trying to spray the other's legs and feet and the other jumping around taking her shoes off? Interesting scene to say the least.

I'm sure there were lots and lots of other fun stories but for now, over and out.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb