California Dreaming


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
November 30th 2006
Published: December 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello folks

There´s been a gap since the last blog as I´ve been a little bit busy. This travelling malarkey is hard work you know. Thanks for the many messages I´ve been getting. Keep them coming - it´s great to hear stories and news from back in the old country.

I squeezed a lot in to my trip to Californa. Me and Lee spent a day in the Joshua Tree National Park. A joshua tree is sort of a cross between a palm tree and a cactus. They only grow in a few remote desert areas. We drove there and it was great to escape from the everyday commercialism of modern life (eek - starting to sound like a hippy!). There are no billboards, no shops, no foodcourts - just a few cars and some real Wild West desert scenery. We got a great view of the San Andreas fault. Lee likes to go to the Joshua Tree to escape from everything and I can see why. On they way back, we stopped in Palm Springs where there seem to be more golf courses than people. Ate a big Mexican meal.

I also enjoyed my first Thanksgiving. I think it´s a great holiday. It doesn´t have to be religious and can be celebrated by giving thanks for anything you want. We spent the day with the family of one of the soccer kids. The Lewis (?) family very kindly laid on turkey with all the trimmings and lashings of red wine. The two brothers hosting us possibly had too much wine and a family argument ensued later on. I don´t think we caused it! I will be celebrating Thanksgiving every year from now on. When we returned to the house, one of the TV channels was showing a James Bond marathon, so me and Lee put our weary feet up and watched 3 Bond films back to back aided by big bags of crisps. That´s the way it´s gotta be.

The weekend brought a soccer tournament so Coach Joff got a last chance to put on his boots. I´m really getting into this coaching business. When they are under 12, they tend not to give you any grief. The tournament was held in Chino Hills. Most amusing sight of the weekend was a local police car marked "Chino Police". I decided that they must patrol the area stopping anyone wearing tan leisure trousers to check whether their turnups exceeded the regulation limit. The previous day´s Bondathon also inspired us to check out the new Bond film, which gets a Joff seal of approval.

Saturday night saw me, Lee and some of his friends strutting our funky stuff (well, me in one of my travelling t-shirts and smart shoes borrowed from Lee) in Newport Beach, right in the heart of Orange County. I certainly didn´t see much orange juice being drunk. As the rum and cokes and the packed bars took a hold of me, I went to stand next to an open window overlooking the harbour to get some air. As concerned onlookers asked me what I was doing and whether I was OK, I came up with the genius reply "just keeping an eye on my yacht" and pointed at the second biggest boat in the harbour. Well, they wouldn´t have believed me if I´d pointed at the biggest would they?

I must thank all the people who made me so welcome in California. The laid back lifestyle suited me and if I ever get a chance to work or live out there, I would seriously consider it.

Finally, I must thank Lee for being a great host for the first two weeks of my trip. He has driven me here, there and everywhere and the start of the trip could not have gone better. Remember to keep the Cas and Ponte Christmas Eve tradition going Lee.

Coming up in the next blog entry - find out how I nearly starred in the sequel to Planes, Trains and Automobiles and how I came close to leading a Mexican revolution.

Kepp in touch everyone

Joff

Advertisement



7th December 2006

the "old country"?
How long have you been away? you're sounding like a leather-skinned old ex-pat. Sounds like it's going well already mate. Photos of you with zapata moustache imminent i hope!

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb