California Dreaming


Advertisement
Published: September 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our day started 36 hours ago and still has 3 hours to go....

If this doesn't make much sense then you and I are on the same wavelength.

4am on Wednesday the 15th i woke up and systematically finalised all those bits before you actually walk out the door....

passport - check
hangover - check
passport - check
turn electricity off - check
laptop - check
passport - check

....you know how it goes. And of course starting the day at 4am, nothing seems real anyways.

At the airport we thought that it was going to be a breeze, being in business class and all. We forgot one thing though.. we're in Melbourne!!!! Melbourne airport is horrible. Even worse, there were heaps of families with young kids checking in and each one took around 20 mins. i should know, i timed it. But that early in the morning we were just happy to have made it to the airport with passports and on time.

Once we reached the Qantas Club thing started looking up. Who knew that Moet and vegemite toast went together so well?

Our joy quickly replaced the amazement at the space allocated to business class passengers as the journey finally started and we took off. The flight attendants were so helpful and cheerily assisted us on a good start to our journey by keeping the drinks flowing well on into the flight (they were a little surprised when we stopped ordering - we thought it best to give them a break before they had to serve breakfast).

14 hours, 20 minutes and 3 bottles of champagne later, we landed in LA. Finger printed and questioned about our vegemite, we passed through customs to find our way to the Super Shuttle - yes, Super Shuttle! It is a super service but the driver complained bitterly the whole time about LA traffic .... ummmmm, don't you live in LA and ummmmmmm, aren't you a bus driver?

The hotel is awesome. Apparently used to be THE party place for all the musicians back in the day. Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and apparently someone famous puked off one of the balconies here - we can only dream on, dream on, dream on : )

Lunch at Barneys Beanery was pretty cool and only a short walk from our hotel. Its apparently where all the above mentioned rock stars plus all those intrepid travellers, used to start the reknown trip on Route 66. Ahhh, nothing like a bowl of chilli and a few Buds to get you on your way.

So after all of the above we have also enjoyed dinner on Sunset Boulevarde and are now chilling out in our room, waiting for this most amazingly LONG day to end. (its still Wednesday the 15th here!)

Wishing you were all here - the weather is A W E S O M E.

Love Claire and Mick

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb