Leaving Las Vegas... Finally


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well i did it, i finally left Las Vegas (round of applause, i thank u) Well i best tell u all about my last day in "sin city" i got up and started chewin through 'on the road' by Jack Kerouac the book that really made me want 2 travel this vast country. After been in Las Vegas and gettin pissed off with it i perhaps needed a reminder of this mighty country.
After readin 4 a while i took a walk up 2 the greyhound bus station, that old den of inequity where the lowest of the low and the budget traveler gather to begin or continue there journey. It was lunch time it looked bad... i would be returnin again at midnight.
After gettin my ticket i went back to the tod hostel 2 continue my journey alongside Kerouac who had 'always wanted to go out west' like my good self.
Feelin a rumble in my tummy i trekked over to a small chinese across the road. Man i dug that little chinese restaraunt. The food was real cheap and it was a little small family run place, where the old man fussed over me when they got my order wrong... 'its ok, i'm in no rush' i told him and then some small children came burstin in through the door and greeted the old man with hugs and kisses, the 3rd generation of this family, with the second serving behind the counter and the old man just tryin 2 keep the customers happy. All speakin in there national tongue but switchin 2 english at the drop of a hat. They had found there own little piece of the American dream, right there on there little corner of Las Vegas.
I then headed back to the Tod, feelin full but my feet were itchin to move on 2 pastures new.
I continued readin my book and then just after midnight i got 2 the bustlin greyhound, feelin lonelier than i had in a long while and lookin forward 2 seein ben and debbie the followin day.
Waitin for the bus i continued readin, but was interrupted by an old man, explainin how long he had been travellin but how he had managed to cut his journey short by 8 hours by exchangin his ticket... It wasn't interestin the first time and by the 14th i longed to be back in the head of Kerouac as he headed to Mexico city. But this is what greyhound does do you, this guy was probably a respectable old man who 48 hours ago just gave a courteous hello 2 people in the busy station, but 48 hours traveling on a coach, waitin around in various cities for his connections and general lack of sleep had turned him slightly insane... ah the good old greyhound.
I got my seat and continued readin and just as we began to pull out of the station i finished the last line 'i think of dean moriarty'
We hit the freeway and drove out of vegas. I took one last look at the neon sign of the tod hostel, my prison and sanctuary and then i surprisingly falling in2 a heavy sleep and wouldn't wake until we were enterin LA


Advertisement



14th May 2008

dave havelock?????
steve you sure the guy in the greyhound station wasnt dave? think about it!.....he told you the same story 14 times!.....or maybe he was just a long lost relative of the leg-end that is havlehoff. anyway just a thought, cheerio

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb