Tips for having fun and staying safe on your visit to Santa Monica, CA


Advertisement
Published: February 4th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Sunny Santa Monica is California's premier beachfront city. This city is just eight miles away from Los Angeles International Airport and is a part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Despite being a part of an urban landscape, Santa Monica has a feel all of its own. There are many fun and exciting things to do and explore when you visit this Southern California city. During your stay, it will also be important for you to exercise caution so that you can remain safe. Here are some things that you can do during your next visit to Santa Monica and some tips for how you can stay safe.

Santa Monica Beach



Spending time at Santa Monica Beach is a must-do when you visit Santa Monica. This iconic beach is three and one-half miles long and features soft, well-maintained sand. You can walk to Santa Monica Beach from many nearby hotels. The beach is divided into two halves by the Santa Monica Pier. North of the pier, the palisades and the Pacific Coast Highway form a barrier between the beach and the city. There are a series of walkways and stairs that provide access to the beach from Santa Monica. The North Beach Playground offers plenty of equipment for children to enjoy.

South of the pier, the beach is bordered by homes, hotels, and the city. You can visit the famous Muscle Beach, Carousel Park, and the International Chess Park south of the pier.

Santa Monica Pier



Plan to spend some time at the Santa Monica Pier during your stay in the city. The pier extends out from Colorado Boulevard. Here, you can find restaurants, shops, and an amusement park. There is also an aquarium so that you can view various examples of sea life. The pier has viewing areas so that you can take in the beautiful sites and areas for fishing.

On the Santa Monica Pier, you will also find the Looff Hippodrome Carousel, which is a National Historic Landmark. The Playland Arcade features more than 200 arcade games that will appeal to children and adults alike. The Trapeze School of New York can allow you to enjoy some high-flying fun, and you can take a two-hour lesson to learn the ropes.

Shopping



Numerous shopping areas dot Santa Monica, offering designer clothing, haute couture, and sales at the many boutiques and stores. The shopping neighborhoods are walkable, allowing you to browse from store to store as you enjoy the fresh breeze. You can reach the Third Street Promenade by walking two blocks away from the beach. This is an open-air shopping experience in a pedestrian-only location. At Santa Monica Place, you can find high-end stores offering luxury items. The Farmer's Market offers scores of fresh vegetables, fruits, artisanal cheeses, meat, and more, and it is a destination for the residents and local chefs alike.

Culture and the arts



Santa Monica is home to many art galleries and museums. The Bergamot contains 35 galleries, and there are plenty of public sculptures and street performers throughout the city. During the summer months, there are many live events, concerts, farmers' markets, and more to fill your time. You can check out an event calendar to learn what's happening during your stay.

Nightlife in Santa Monica



Santa Monica is a destination for people across Los Angeles for its nightlife. You can sip drinks with your friends at a rooftop bar looking out to the Pacific Ocean, settle into a dive bar, or dance the night away at a club. Many people enjoy the casual feel of Santa Monica and their ability to walk from place to place when they head out on the town.

Tips for staying safe in Santa Monica

While there is much to see and do in Santa Monica, you need to exercise caution to remain safe. Like other cities in the LA area, Santa Monica bustles with traffic, pedestrians, bicycles, and e-scooters. Staying safe will require you to watch for cars, pedestrians, e-scooters, and cyclists while you travel to and from your various destinations.

Bicyclists and pedestrians are especially at risk in Santa Monica. The city's walkability and great weather draw many people outdoors. Unfortunately, when bicyclists and pedestrians share the roads with motor vehicles, they are at a heightened risk of being severely injured or killed in accidents. According to a report in the Santa Monica Lookout, 285 incidents resulted in serious injuries or fatalities in Santa Monica from 2006 to 2016. During that period, 82%!o(MISSING)f the accidents that occurred were motor vehicle accidents. However, pedestrians and bicyclists accounted for 70%!o(MISSING)f the fatalities and 60%!o(MISSING)f the serious injuries that occurred when they were involved in accidents with motor vehicles.

The Santa Monica Police Department reported in its 2013-2014 Biennial Report that 1,400 accidents were reported in the city in 2014. Among those accidents, 555 were injury accidents and four were fatality accidents. Pedestrians were involved in 91 of the accidents.

Avoiding car vs. car accidents in Santa Monica



Being involved in a motor vehicle accident while you are in Santa Monica can ruin your vacation and leave you with injuries. Like other places in Southern California, Santa Monica's roads are congested with traffic. Some drivers in the city ignore speed limits and take risks to save time as they try to reach their destinations. When you visit the city, follow the speed limits, avoid distractions while you drive, and never drive after you have drunk alcohol. Give other vehicles plenty of room and move along with the traffic.

Avoiding pedestrian accidents in Santa Monica



According to the City of Santa Monica, nearly half of the city's residents walk or ride bicycles every day. With so many pedestrians walking on the sidewalks and crossing the city streets, there is a higher risk of pedestrian accidents. In 2017, nine pedestrians were killed in accidents in Santa Monica.

If you choose to walk around the city during your visit, make sure to only cross the street at crosswalks or intersections. Cross when there is a signal, and watch for vehicles. Do not use headphones or text while you walk because doing so can remove your attention away from the vehicles around you. If you walk at night, wear brightly colored clothing so that you will be easier to see.

As a driver, you also need to be careful to avoid accidents with pedestrians. Stop at crosswalks to allow pedestrians to safely cross. Do not pass other vehicles that are stopped at crosswalks, and watch for people who are crossing the street when you make turns. Obey the traffic control devices, and never use your phone or other electronic devices while you drive. If you drink while you are out, take a cab to return to your home or hotel instead of driving.

Avoiding bicycle accidents in Santa Monica



The beautiful weather in Santa Monica means many people choose to use bicycles to get around town. Bicycles can be rented by tourists. Unfortunately, the bicycle lanes in Santa Monica do not provide adequate barriers to traffic. If you choose to ride a bicycle, try to stay on bicycle paths. On the street, follow the traffic laws and remain as far to the right as possible. Watch for people in vehicles that are parked alongside the streets to avoid a dooring accident. Use hand signals when you plan to turn, and do not ride your bicycle on the sidewalks. As a driver, you also need to take care to avoid a collision with a cyclist. Give a cyclist plenty of room, and do not drive your vehicle in the bicycle lane. Stop for cyclists that cross the street, and watch for them when you are turning or traveling through intersections.

If you are injured in a bicycle accident, seek immediate medical attention. Keep copies of all of your medical bills and other expenses, and get copies of the accident reports. If the accident was the fault of the motorist, contact an experienced personal injury attorney at the Steven M. Sweat Personal Injury Lawyers.

Avoiding e-scooter accidents



One thing that you might notice during your visit to Santa Monica is the many e-scooters that people ride around the city. Companies such as Lime and Byrd have place e-scooters that people can rent with an app around the city. These vehicles can travel up to 15 miles per hour, and they can cause injuries to the riders, pedestrians, and cyclists in collisions. E-scooters are also sometimes involved in collisions with drivers who fail to see them as they zip along in traffic. Unless you are experienced with riding e-scooters and carry safety equipment with you, you might want to avoid this mode of transportation. As a driver, you should also watch out for e-scooters so that you can avoid crashing into a rider. Do not ride e-scooters on the sidewalks or pedestrian paths.

Santa Monica is a great destination for your next trip and offers many fun activities to enjoy. When you visit Santa Monica, make sure to exercise care when you drive, walk, or cycle around the city. When you are careful, you can help to avoid being involved in accidents in the city. If you have suffered injuries because of the negligence of others in Santa Monica, contact the Steven M. Sweat Personal Injury Lawyers for a free consultation.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb