Palm Sprgs & San Diego


Advertisement
Published: November 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Friday Bob and I went to Palm Springs. It’s about 50 miles from here, and we traveled with four lanes, both directions, of our closest friends. Well not really our closest friends, but we traveled very close. And they weren’t really our friends, nor did we want them to be! I just can’t get used to the number of people out here. It’s desert from here to Palm Springs, and even once you get there, there’s not much more than desert. It’s not like on the other side of the mountains where at least the lawns and things are green~~here nothing is green. There are palm trees, which I find sooo interesting, but there isn’t any lawn. And where the fancy houses are, they build walls around them, and I assume they create a pleasant environment inside their walled neighborhoods. We walked the main street and did the tourist thing, but there wasn’t anything about Palm Springs that appealed to me.

Saturday Dave and Wanda went with us to San Diego. Now that’s a place I’d like to spend more time! We drove through desert to get there, but the land had hints of green…or where green would
Russian SubRussian SubRussian Sub

This is 299.5 feet long. Although it sounds big, it sure isn't when you get inside!
be if it wasn’t winter. And then you get into the city and there’s water and lawns and all types of trees (many of them changing to autumn colors~~or winter colors of yellows and reds!) I made the comment that when the people who live in the desert find out there’s places like San Diego, they’re going to be really upset. After I'd made several satements about it, Dave said that he really likes Palm Springs! Do you suppose it takes all types?!! Obviously I’m not a desert type person. I’m a mountains (low mountains) and coastal areas type.

We spent quite a bit of time at the bay, across from Coronado Island. The Navy base is there, so there’s that activity, plus we bought a pass to tour five historic ships and take a harbor tour. One of the ships was a Russian attack submarine; one was a, 1898 steam ferry, as well as a steam yacht and a merchant sailing ship.

Whenever you’re by the ocean (think ocean breeze) there’ll be kites. Wait till you see the pictures! I put several more, of the ships as well as the kites, on the gallery, under
BerkelyBerkelyBerkely

A 279 ft luxury steam ship. Original seating capacity was 1691 people! Dated 1918.
San Diego.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

HMS Surprise  (replica)HMS Surprise  (replica)
HMS Surprise (replica)

Pirates of the Carribean was filmed on this ship.
Notice all the modes ofNotice all the modes of
Notice all the modes of

transportation in this picture! Yes, I'd say the airport is in a busy area!
Aircraft CarrierAircraft Carrier
Aircraft Carrier

This is an active ship, and we didn't get any closer than this. It is absolutely huge.
Don't we know this gal?Don't we know this gal?
Don't we know this gal?

And she never looked any happier than she does right now! I'm not sure if it's because she felt overdressed, or whether her husband is grumpy because this is his busy time!
This is what the big guy was This is what the big guy was
This is what the big guy was

wearing while his Mrs. was in the formal attire!
I love the kites.I love the kites.
I love the kites.

I put more photos of these round ones on the gallery site.
Another kite shotAnother kite shot
Another kite shot

The round ones were flexible, and sometimes would but on the ground, and lose their shapes, but would rise in the breeze again and fly. They were tethered to a stake in the ground!


28th November 2007

san diego
I can totally relate to you pictures today. Two years ago I had a meeting in Palm Springs and after two days of looking at the barren mountains decided the palm trees and beautiful golf courses would not be enough to keep me there. Twice Q and I have been to San Diego, one for a conference where we got to do a lot of sight seeing and 4 hr adventure on a whale watching boat (don't waste you money - the only whales we saw were in our imagination!). Then this Spring our cruise departed from San Diego. I loved waiting to depart and watch the planes fly in and sail boats drifting by. The city is beautiful. Be sure and do Coronado.
28th November 2007

Palm Springs & San Diego
I'm surprised that the golfer in you doesn't like Palm Springs!!! We go there in the winter quite often to get a few games in while it is cold and snowy in Montana. We actually like Palm Desert better as far as the shopping and restaurants go. We'll be there the end of January. Also, a comment on San Diego. I did a city tour there once and was informed that was all desert until they created the big aquaduct for water and brought in all the palm trees and other vegitation. None of the green stuff you see there is native to the area. We love San Diego too - for the same reasons as we love Palm Springs only add the addition of the beaches and Sea World!!! We toured the aircraft carrier that is docked permanently there (can't remember the name), but it was very interesting. Loved your kite pictures! I haven't seen that type before. Thanks for always sharing with us!! See 'ya in December!! Love 'ya, Joan

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb