Beach to LA to Ho-Ho-Home...!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Hollywood
December 20th 2010
Published: December 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Seasons Greetings Blog Fans!

Well, here we are, sat in LA's pissing rain writing our last ever blog. Awwww... We know you're as sad as us. The last 12 months, with the help of 19 flights, have flown by and now we find ourselves one sleep away from real life, real ale and real poverty!

Anyway, enough crying. So, our last week in Mexico was spent by the beach in Puerto Escondido. This didn't go as well as planned as the bus there ended up taking 20 bloody hours. Nikki then developed the most annoying cough of the year resulting in Gail's visit to the pharmacia and, using her Spanish, asking for some 'tos' medicine (snigger). After moving from the giant red ant-biting hostel, we found ourselves an expensive room fully equipt with hammock. Still, we found the beaches a bit medium and kinda wished we hadn't bothered. Saying this, Nikki is now nice and brown; Gail is pink.

We knew it was time to leave Mexcio following a frustrated outburst outside the local shop during which Nikki shouted, 'I'm f***ing sick of everyone speaking f***ing Spanish at me! Why can't they just speak f***ing English?!'

Upon reflection, we are so happy and smug that we changed our plans from New Zealand. We had a ball in Mexico for 7 weeks and, apart from the food, loved pretty much everything about it. There is still plenty more to see, should we ever decide to return. Our only regret is that it was considered too unsafe to travel north through Tijuiana so maybe next time... when those pesky drug barrons have gone.

Our final destination right on Melrose in Hollywood is perfect. We've got a huge, ensuite, private room with American cable TV meaning that we don't even need to leave the room! Luckily for the purpose of the Blog we have managed to venture out in the non-stop rain to see a couple of the sights. It's rained so much that the news channels are calling it 'Storm Watch'. Once again the predicted 28 degrees dropped to 6 the day we arrived. The curse of the weather continues. We're trying to see it as a positive in preparation for coming home. It's shit.

Good things do come out of bad situations: Nikki has literally walked holes into her Connies and our trotting around in the rain resulted in her moaning about sodden feet so what could we do except buy her a lovely pair of new boots... and jeans... and hat... and thermal top.... yes, the shopping here is wonderful. As much as it pains tight-arse Gail to spend money, there is literally no stopping her. Bring on January's credit card bill! Finally we're somewhere which doesn't laugh at us or attempt to sell us 'jazzy' diamonique bejewelled tops.

The Knitted Characters seem to be having a great time here too. They have met so many new A List celebrity friends that we're feeling a little left out. To add to our Hollywood sight-seeing, we ventured into Madame Tussaud's and had way too much fun with the stars. See rediculous pictures.

We also got spotted outside the famous Chinese Temple, where stars put their hands in cement, and got asked to go along as audience members at CBS Studios to watch filming of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, the crapper version of The Late Show with David Letterman. Apart from wanting to punch the Americans who were in the queue behind us for talking absolute Hollywood rubbish about acting classes and someone's-dog's-mom's-friend's son who met Jennifer Aniston for three seconds; the whole thing was quite surreal. Turns out the big celebrity guest star on the show was Billy Connelly and the host was Scottish too, so technically we haven't seen any famous American stars. Gail managed to embrace the filming and perfect her 'full belly fake laugh'. Listen out for it when she's back, y'all.

That does't mean we haven't seen our fair share of all things American: our first day out we had to buy some insoles for Nikki's broken feet only to find we were meters away from a real street fight trying not to a) laugh b) repeat the phrases! Yes, we directly quote:

"I am in your face, bitch!"
"Yeah, I'm gonna mess you up!"

Another LA nugget: we were out shopping and noted that Americans can bring dogs into shopping malls. We were even more pleased to find that in Macy's toilet there was a woman washing her tiny dog in the sink because it had rolled in piss.

On the bus we overheard a conversation between people trying to get somewhere, "That shit is far, man. It's like a ten minute walk!"

The rain here has meant that, sadly, we haven't managed to visit the weird and wonderful Venice Beach, Santa Monica Boulevard or a theme park. In all honesty we don't have much else to report as we have literally pottered about, eaten, shopped and slept.

It seems that after a year of travelling about, we are now exhausted and very much ready to come home. The year seems to have gone so fast and India feels such a long time ago. This trip has been everything we wanted it to be. There hasn't been any great spiritual discoveries but we've certainly leant a lot about ourselves and this incredibly diverse world that we live in. Although we hoped that this year would help suppress the travelling bug, it's only added fuel to the fire. We've realised after travelling the world that we missed our home in little Sheffield and can't wait to go back! Nikki fears this happy feeling may only last a month when we remember how depressing winter in the UK is...

2011 is going to be a real leap back to reality. We'll get to sleep in the same bed every night, not live like snails out of a backpack AND be able to clean ourselves regularly!

Thank you all so much for sharing in our adventure. We can't wait to see you all and/or bore you all with our tales!

Wishing you all a very Happy Holidays, as the Americans say.

Lots of love, signing off,

Nikki, Gail and The Knitted Characters xxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Spot the Hollywood sign?Spot the Hollywood sign?
Spot the Hollywood sign?

That's because it won't stop bloody raining!!!! (Left of the right palm tree)
Bloody shoesBloody shoes
Bloody shoes

Nikki taking cough medicine, inserting insoles whilst avoiding the fight behind!
Chinese TheatreChinese Theatre
Chinese Theatre

Harry Potter Stars in cement
Santa's houseSanta's house
Santa's house

Down at the Farmers' Market
American cinema snacksAmerican cinema snacks
American cinema snacks

Go watch Black Swan, it's fantastic!


21st December 2010

I'm so sad
Well girls what can i say it's been emotional. I'll truly miss receiving your blog and laughing out loud at all your goings on. We'll miss you pancakes! Take it easy, love to TKC Verl's
23rd December 2010

Tussauds..CLASSIC!!
Girls! I love the photies of you two at the wax works. Bloody brilliant! C x

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb