LA


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As our flight wasn’t until late we decided to book out our room for an extra night with the intention of getting some sleep in the afternoon. It didn’t quite work out that way though.

We did a walk around all of the main Boulevard sights so that we could take photographs in the morning, and then in the early afternoon we went to see the new X Files movie at the Chinese Theatre. I’m so glad we did as inside the theatre was beautiful. It was full of intricate Chinese paintings and carvings - I’ve never seen anything like it. The film was ok but we really went in because of the venue and we weren’t disappointed.

After the film we went for a late lunch to an Italian at the Hollywood & Highlands complex. As usual it was great food and great service for not too much money.

Then we headed back to pack and catch a shuttle bus to the airport. The wait didn’t feel too bad and at 11.30pm the flight set off to Rarotonga. We were really pleased to leave LA. Whilst it was nice to say we’ve been there, it wasn’t really our thing.

As soon as the flight set off we realised what everyone meant when they said how amazing Virgin Atlantic planes are. On the Air NZ plane we didn’t get our own tv so had to make do with watching one of the central screens showing set films - on Virgin we‘d had a choice of about 50 films on demand!

We both tried our best to get some sleep as the flight took nine and a half hours but we really struggled. By the time we landed we were both feeling rough again. The airport at Rarotonga is small and as soon as we landed we felt welcomed. Our taxi was ready and waiting for us - after they had placed a garland of flowers around my neck and got us to listen to some traditional live music!

Our mini bus dropped people off at various places until Matt and I were left. The taxi driver stopped and took us up some steps to our room - we were staying at Muri Beach Cottages in a beach villa. He unlocked the door and welcomed us in. Our breath was taken away by the view even in the 7am darkness. The sliding glass doors in front of us framed a picture perfect image of coconut palms, white sand and clear blue waves that were just starting to tint orange in the sunrise. As soon as he left we slid back the doors and went out onto the balcony and took in a deep breath of sea air. Neither of us could believe we were finally here after the stressful and manic LA. It felt like a weight lifted from our shoulders.

Then we realised how absolutely exhausted we were and fell into bed, but not for long...



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb