LA


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We actually managed to sleep in later that 6.30am today (til 8am!). We had nothing planned for today so decided to hang out locally along the Boulevard and check out some of the things we’d walked past but not explored yet.

We browsed around the Hollywood & Highland Centre which surrounds the Kodak Theatre (where the Oscars take place). This is an outdoor shopping and eating complex (a bit like Gunwharf but posher!) that goes up in levels with a stage in the centre for live music. From the higher levels you get an amazing view of the Hollywood sign but this means it’s always packed full of tourists.

We decided it was about time we had a proper American burger so found a traditional retro diner called Johnny Rockets for lunch. We weren’t disappointed and left with full bellys.

After lunch we had a rest (it’s hard work all this eating!) and then went to the Disney Theatre to watch Wall-E. Before the film there was a live performance with people dressed up as various Disney characters. We seemed to be the only adults there without kids but we didn’t care. The film was fun with amazing animation. Afterwards I had to go next door to the Disney café for a massive take out Ice Cream Sundae - not good for someone who is dairy intolerant but it had to be done! A 2 scoop serving filled a pint glass - imagine that drizzled with hot fudge sauce!

We wandered around the Blvd watching all kinds of crazy people doing crazy things and then headed back to start our packing as our room was a serious mess.

Things we’ve learnt about the US:
Always take a jumper to the cinema - the aircon is fierce.
Look down when you walk - the pavements are full of big holes. Who’d have thought it from the home of compensation culture!
When you buy popcorn there will be a butter dispenser nearby, and the popcorn is always salted not sweet.
When American’s see a film at the cinema, they clap at the end.
ID fraud can’t be prominent in the US as receipts contain your whole card number and when you pay in a restaurant they take your card away from you to swipe it.
Tax is added on to everything so don‘t believe the price on menus.
Food is cheap as chips.
Matt doesn’t like the breakfasts but Karen does. Pancakes rock.
Tea is horrible here.
There are lots of drinking water fountains everywhere which is good as it is hot.
There are always plenty of toilet cubicles in the ladies and Karen was impressed she never had to queue once in the whole trip!
Ginger Ale and Ice Tea are as common as Coke here.
LA is hot and stressful.
You are expected to tip 15 - 20% for good service - and the restaurant service is always good.

This is something we’ve learned in general - not specifically about the US - we should have bought a travel sink plug as hostels don’t have plugs!
Hostels don’t have kettles in the rooms either!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Kodak Theatre Kodak Theatre
Kodak Theatre

Where the oscars take place
Tom CruiseTom Cruise
Tom Cruise

This was the only one we snapped. They're all in the pavement where you walk and the streets are crowded - it's a task and a half to get a picture of one without people walking over it!
Slasher film characterSlasher film character
Slasher film character

We can't remember if he was Jason or Michael Myers!


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb