We have arrived


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Hollywood
November 26th 2005
Published: November 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I am running on about 9 hours of sleep for 2 days so please excuse me if this doesnt make sense. I just wanted to let you all know we are here and having a great time.

The flight was fine, we got the emergency exit row seats cos Tim is so tall (he does come in handy some times). But of course this was where every one came to stand and talk, and the stewards were coming and going into the galley with the lights on the whole flight - needless to say neither of us slept at all, despite the ample leg room.

We arrived at our cute little hotel at about 7.30am. (There are old Hollywood posters up all over the walls, with Audrey Hepburn, Sinatra, Gone with the Wind etc. And the room is absolutely huge, and did I mention the free breakfast?).

Yesterday we had a quite-ish day and headed down to Santa Monica and Venice beaches. The weather was lovely and warm and the LAPD helicopters and police barricades all just added to the ambience... no really, we were walking along the beach front shops, not paying any attention to the five police cars parked along the side until this thick american accent said "sorry folks, you cant come down here, please move back". Then we noticed the helicopter was not just joy flights like we thought, but police. For the next two hours, the helicopter was circling the building and we heard rumours of snipers on the roof... and that was it. Eventually it left and so did the barricades. (I bet you were expecting a more exciting ending than that weren't you?!)

But the beaches were great, unfotunately, Muscle beach gym was closed so we couldnt see all the huge guys working out on the beach but we did see the guys all playing ball "White Men Can't Jump" style.

Today was Universal Studios. We played like children all day. At the airport we got some good advice to head for the back of the park and work our way to the front as the crowds work the other way. So off we ran right to the end and walked straight on. We had a ball. Because it is the holidays, there was no one shooting any films so the backlot tour was a bit quiet, however, George Clooney was doing a Vanity Fair photo shoot that we got to see from a hundred metres away...?

However, I did stumble onto a tiny little London Travel Bookshop. Unfortunately, the owner wasn't there (no Hugh Grant) but I had a hunt around any way (this is the street scape for Nottinghilll for those of you who dont recognise the photo).

Being Thanksgiving day yesterday, like Chrismas, there is a big shopping day the next day... so how could I resist? After coming back, Tim and I spent the evening shopping in the 'Beverley Centre', I am thinking it was in Beverley Hills...? Despite he promises, there werent really too many sales. But when the clothes start at $300US, 30% off doesnt really help...

Then finally at about 10.30pm we headed back to Hollywood Bvd for dinner at a 1950's style diner. Fantastic. The staff were all dressed up, the decor and even the menu were in character. Nothing else would have perked me up as much as that did.

Any way, Im off to sleep. I hope you are all well.

Steph (and Tim - who started his own blog cos he didnt want to share with me! www.tkbradley.travellerspoint.com if any one is interested...)

PS Sorry, the computer wont let us load the photos, will try again somewhere else...




Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb