La Brea Tar Pits


Advertisement
Published: April 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Penny Meets JesusPenny Meets JesusPenny Meets Jesus

Our helpful hotel host was called Jesus. Look at his name tag.
Today we caught two buses across town to the Tar Pits where we saw the worlds's biggest collection of recent fossils of creatures living 10-12,000 years ago. It was a childhood dream of Trish's to see this place. As an Anthropologist it is a trip to a significant place in history. Well it didn't disappoint. We got up close and personal with a range of bones and smelly oozing bitumen.
We even got a battery charger for our camera. Trish forgot to pack ours. Now that will be worth points.
We made a brief visit to the sculpture garden but I guess we were pretty much "museumed out".
People are really helpful and kind. The bus service is really good. It feels safe and a happy place for most, but we have heard 3 or 4 really disturbed people walking the street ranting, swearing talking to invisible people, obviously mentally ill, a disturbing number with shopping trolleys holding all their life's possessions in black rubbish bags. I even saw a whole family out with begging signs. I wonder where they sleep at night and what it must feel like to be disconnected from the world as we experience it? Sad eh.
Giant SlothGiant SlothGiant Sloth

This sloth is six feet tall and quite unusual to say the least.
We have a small problem like that in NZ too I guess, but not so visible.
Tomorrow we plan to visit the Getty Museum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Woolly MammothWoolly Mammoth
Woolly Mammoth

Just a big old elephant. Hard to believe they were wandering around USA not so long ago.
Playing with the Sabertooth CatsPlaying with the Sabertooth Cats
Playing with the Sabertooth Cats

Penny was pretty brave to take on the cats.
Penguin competes with PigeonPenguin competes with Pigeon
Penguin competes with Pigeon

Looking the nose turned up by this statue I think the penguin's fishy calling card obviously was one up on the local pigeons. Go Penny!


19th April 2011

Awesome
Looks like you guys are having a ball, =)
21st April 2011

Jesus
I always imagined Jesus in a different way :-) Amazing what you guys experience! Keep having fun!

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb