A Hike to Hidden Lake


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Lone Pine
July 31st 2012
Published: August 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 3:

We were leaving our camp with packs full to hike to Hidden Lake. A trail would lead to a cutoff just past the stream, then we’d head off up over the hill with no trail (Donner Party?). We were there 12 years ago but could never find our way now.

Since we had to pack up whatever remained we were then the last ones out. The planned formed was that Justin would lead Elias and Charlotte to the lake then Elias and Justin would empty their packs and return while Charlotte would stay behind and guard for bears.

Justin returned with his pack emptied, packed up the trash to go out and stuff not needed for the remainder of the trip, packed it up and started down to the base camp. He would unload everything at the base camp, pick up our cache and return to Hidden Lake.

Elias returned repacked his pack and led us off to the promised lake (land?)

As we hiked I was slowest of course but Sequoia and Lucian needed attention so it was fine. We soon decided that Elias would go on to the lake with Cam’s boys then return for us stragglers. He would leave the tent at the point where we’d leave the trail. We’d either find the tent or Elias at the cutoff.

We did run into several Search & Rescue folks. We asked about the missing person and were told that his body had been found. It appeared that the guy took a wrong turn and instead of heading up the mountain, went down a side trail falling 200’ to his death. Sobering thought.

We made our connection with the tent and Elias, who was running down the hill at the same moment. Now to climb up this hill with no trail and heavy packs and poor Elias carried a third pack for the day.

We’d made a couple of stops to catch our breath when Cam said he had a pebble in his shoe. We stopped while he took off his boot only to find that the sole had split completely thru. That will make for a bad hike down the hill.

We arrived at the lake and set up camp. While cooking dinner I told Charlotte that Justin should be there at any minute, I’d been starting to watch the time. No sooner than the words were out of my mouth when Justin came around the large rock at our kitchen. Am I a psychic or what?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb