Summer Refreshments


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Lodi
June 9th 2023
Published: June 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Summer seems to dictate lighter, fruitier wines and soft drinks. Consider these:












Unless you're swimming in the stuff, skip the Champagne for casual outdoor occasions and opt for Spanish Cava to pass around as your guests arrive and the coals heat up. It is much less expensive, and after the first glass, nobody cares!

Cava is commonly made following the same method as its expensive French relative, yet with local grapes and a wider range of prices. It's hard not to feel relaxed and ready to sit back and enjoy a hearty meal of grilled meats and sides when you have a chilled glass of bubbles in hand. Plus, if you get a few extra bottles you'll find that the crisp mousse is a fine pairing for your spread.

Totus Tuus Cava reserva, named for the Latin expression which means "all yours," will have you reaching for your glass as you say, "all mine." Along with the classic trio of Spanish grapes (parellada, macabeo, and xarello), this Cava features some pinot noir and chardonnay too, which tie it together with a smooth creaminess. Stone fruit and citrus notes are present on the palate, with a vibrant edge that adds structure.
And a lighter red:
The U.S. takes great pride in its barbecue culture, and several countries in South America are equally worthy players in the grilling scene. Yet, South Africa might not come to mind when you think of grilling up a storm. Game meats, sausages, and cast-iron pots slow-cooking all day are just some of the delicacies you'll want to taste. Locally, the event and cooking method is known as braai, and it's something of a national sport. So, you know if a winery calls itself Braai Wines, it's going to be the obvious choice for a barbecue.

You could pick up a familiar bottle of cabernet sauvignon, but for a true braai experience, we recommend the pinotage. This hybrid grape was created when a South African scientist crossed cinsault and pinot noir vines nearly a century ago. There are very limited plantings outside of its home country, and it's certainly a local favorite. Pick up a bottle Braai Wines pinotage to go with grilled lamb, venison, and game meat sausages. With earth, leather, and smoke aromas on the nose and dark fruits and cherries on the palate, this is a winner paired with the charred flavors of a summer barbecue. Medium-full tannins and a bold mouthfeel allow this wine to stand up to the flavors of the grill.

Love the South Africans, like my buddy, Barry the V, and new friends, Winan and Madeleine. The braai is what we know as the cookout or backyard barbecue. In fact, our first visit to Barry the V in Cape Town was highlighted by a braai on our first evening.

One of my favorites:

If sparkling wine can elevate a dining experience, rosé bubbles do so with more pizzazz. while it may feel more whimsical, rosé Champagne is often a more serious style than its colorless counterpart. Nevertheless, a casual backyard barbecue doesn't require a pricey high-end wine. Instead, pick up a bottle of rosé frizant by Mas de Daumas Gassac. Produced in Southern France where rosé reigns supreme, this bubbly number makes for an easy-drinking experience.

The wine is made with a blend of red grapes, primarily cabernet sauvignon and mourvèdre. These bolder varieties stand out with rich fruit-forward flavors that are enjoyable paired with or without food. The Charmat method used in the secondary fermentation results in a softer mousse that goes down smoothly. Tropical fruits, blood orange, and a salty finish round out this sparkling wine for a winning combination. Sip on this bubbly rosé with a burger or grilled shrimp, or pass the bottle around as your barbecue guests show up.

And now for a very overlooked and underrated white wine:

Try to escape your Chardonnay rut. A dry Chenin blanc is both refreshing, vibrant, and more minerally (is that a word?). Grilled fish and shellfish pair well with lighter white wines. France's Loire Valley and South Africa produce very affordable and delicious Chenin blancs. Tuna and salmon require a heavier, heartier wine like a Chardonnay.

Likewise, a good, dry Riesling is also a great pairing with fish, salads, and shellfish. But again, finding a good one at your average wine store is rather challenging.

I have never been a fan of a big punch bowl full of sangria. But I could see the pairing with carne asada on the grill, fish tacos, or even carnitas.

It never hurts to have some bottled beer on hand. I favor two, the 805 from Firestone Walker, and Corona Light. Either one will keep your beer fans happy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb