Napa Valley and Sacramento 23-25 August (day 121-123)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Fairfield
August 26th 2009
Published: September 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As we had to pass very close to it, we found it impossible not to visit the Napa Valley where so much Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot et tuttu quanti come from.
We also visited Sonoma where we could find some good Pinot Noir.
So we picked up 2 wineries which don't charge too much for tasting. The first we visited was the Regusci winery called a gost winery because they are one of the few who survived the phylloxera infestation of the 1890's, the prohibition and the 1930's depression.
This winery is very good in Zinfandel and Cabernet and the buidings and suroundings are just beautiful.
As we started speaking with the lady who helpted us with the tasting about our trip, we stayed a long time there, gave lots of tips about Argertina and Buenos Aires so that at the end she was so pleased with our converstaion that we didn't have to pay the $20 for the tasting.
In Sonama we visited the Seghesio Family Vineyards where we found Pinot Noir. We were less impressed but enjoyed very much the lanscape which is very different, more hilly than Napa.
The touristic town of Yountville was an ideal stop for lunch.
The following day we decided we had enough about wine and went to visit Sacramento, which is after all the capital of California.
It was a nice day and we discoved Old Sacramento which has been restored as it was in the 'old times' with side walks in wooden boards and brick houses.
We also took a tour of the capitol, where we learned a lot about the history of California, visited the senate and the assembly. We also could see where the current governor has his office, but Arnold didn't have time to say hello.
He purchased a bronze bear somwhere in Montana and brought it to Sacramento where it is guarding the entry to his office to the delight of the many school children on visit.
Our US trip was soon ging to come to an end, but not without first visiting San Francisco which was going to be the cherry of the cake.




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Old SacramentoOld Sacramento
Old Sacramento

Train Sation
Old SacramentoOld Sacramento
Old Sacramento

Sacramento river


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb