Death Valley, and the ghost town of Rhyolite


Advertisement
Published: December 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Death Valley


On the road to nowhere...On the road to nowhere...On the road to nowhere...

Even Nevada has its fair share of straight roads.
Day two of our road trip took us through more desert and along more straight roads. We were fairly close to Area 51, but decided to skip it.

Almost at Death Valley we took a little detour into the ghost town of Rhyolite. The town was built in 1906, after gold was found in 1904. 10,000 people lived here at one time. By 1910 everyone was gone, as there wasn't really that much gold. If this isn't the Wild West nothing is!

By the time we got to Death Valley we were pretty good at just sitting in the car with the cuise control on and just letting it run along the straight roads by itself. However, the roads in Death Valley are considerably more crooked.

Death Valley isn't actually that dead, with loads of vegetation and the odd scorpion and rattlesnake, not that we saw any...

Gas to Death Valley: $50. Coffee (vanilla!) in Beatty: $1. Sunset in the valley: priceless.




Dag tva pa var resa tog oss genom mer oken och langs mer rakstrackor. Vi var ganska nara Area 51, men hoppade over det.

Nar vi var nastan framme i Death
Saloon...Saloon...Saloon...

in the middle of nowhere.
Valley tog vi en liten omvag till spokstaden Rhyolite. Staden byggdes 1906, efter att man hittat guld 1904. 10 000 manniskor bodde har under stadens blomstringsperiod, men 1910 hade alla flyttat darifran igen eftersom det inte fanns sa varst mycket guld att grava fram (i USA 😉. Akta vilda vasternstad!

Val framme i Death Valley hade vi blivit ratt bra pa att bara sitta i bilen med fartkontrollen pa och bara lata den kora sjalv langs rakstrackan. Vagarna i Death Valley var dock betydligt krokigare.

Death Valley ar faktiskt inte sa dod, det finns mycket vaxtlighet och en del skorpioner och skallerormar, fast vi sag inte till nagra...


Bensin till Death Valley: $50. Kaffe (vanilj!) i Beatty: $1. Solnedgang i dalen: obetalbar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BeattyBeatty
Beatty

Not too far from Area 51, there's apparently some good surfing to be found. What!!! In the middle of the desert?
Shop frontShop front
Shop front

One of the few standing buildings in Rhyolite.
The shop is now for sale...The shop is now for sale...
The shop is now for sale...

but you have to move it from Rhyolite.
68000 bottles (of beer?)...68000 bottles (of beer?)...
68000 bottles (of beer?)...

captured in the ghost town of Rhyolite.
Here's the rest...Here's the rest...
Here's the rest...

of the bottles
So many guns...So many guns...
So many guns...

in this country, and nowhere to use them.
Why bother bending the bars...Why bother bending the bars...
Why bother bending the bars...

on the jail window...
...when it's......when it's...
...when it's...

pretty easy to get out anyway?
Do you want to...Do you want to...
Do you want to...

work here? A lot of people did, digging in the gold mine.
Railway stationRailway station
Railway station

Rhyolite had 3 railway lines serving it at one point.
In 1925...In 1925...
In 1925...

Paramount (?) made a movie about the gold rush. This truck must have been left behind.
California!California!
California!

Our first look at the golden state. Death Valley is enormous.
An oasisAn oasis
An oasis

in Death Valley, which isn't actually that dead. Lots of flowers, scorpions and rattle snakes.
Lowest pointLowest point
Lowest point

in the western hemisphere. 282ft (86m) below sea level. Spot the road of salt behind D.
This must be...This must be...
This must be...

the surf spot the Beatty residents are going to. Spot the small islands of salt.
Typical small volcanoTypical small volcano
Typical small volcano

We think it looks more like ice cream.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

over Death Valley...
...can have...can have
...can have

many different colours.
WhichWhich
Which

do you prefer?


Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 27; qc: 100; dbt: 0.0972s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb