Molnar, I presume


Advertisement
Published: May 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Although I expected to find him ensconced in some bizarre Gothic manor at some forgotten dead-end high in the Berkeley Hills, Sir Molnar actually resides in a comfortable, well-lit and perfectly sane and modern home just up the street from me.

We drank dark Belgian beer and shivered in his backyard as the sun set and he told me of his time in Budapest. He arrove just after the fall of the wall, and there was redonkulous opportunity for a young, energetic native speaker with experience in the capitalist world. Each time Peter alluded to some grand scheme or other, I grew more googly-eyed and unfocused. A wine social in the caves beneath the Buda Hills? Doing it up right in massive, ugly government buildings that had fallen into disuse. The mythical Bloc Party??

Peter was kind, supportive and put many of my concerns to rest. He also fully endorsed my plan to attend VinExpo en route to Budapest (Now I just need to find some place to stay whilst there.).

He also warned that Hungarian women were quite beautiful and that 6 of his friends ended up marrying abroad. Too bad they don't have Barons in Hungary.

He vowed to put me in touch with some friendly folks in Budapest, editorializing that unlike in the USA, when you say you're a friend of a friend in Europe, you're welcomed warmly. Let's hope!

His family is responsible for some tastefully delicious wines, including a Chardonnay from Molnar Blaise Vineyard and Cabernet and Syrah under the Obsidian Ridge label, so named for the monster hunks of volcanic glass peppering it's vineyard location in the Mayacamas Mtns in Napa.

Thanks to Peter and Maya at Vintage Berkeley for introducing us!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb