Backpacking Menus


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Let the Packing BeginLet the Packing BeginLet the Packing Begin

Dale is loading some of the basics up
So I promised that I’d write a post about menus for our backpacking trip. We’ve had lots of stops and starts and experiments on food and I think that we finally have made our decisions.

As I’ve written before we have several considerations with choosing the foods we will eat. I cannot eat gluten at all and need to eat several small meals as well, Elias eats a major amount of calories a day, Dale can eat plenty too, and it will be cold so we all will eat more. I will add Pinion nuts to most meals for this reason.

For breakfasts kids and Dale have chosen various cereals and granolas. We told kids that if they wanted a specific cereal they could have it but they decided to share everything. One morning we will have some pancakes out of the Fat Uncle Pancake Mix. I will eat eggs as cereals leave me too quickly.

Snacks are almonds, dried mangos, apricots, apples, pineapples, raisins, beef jerky and almond butter cookies that Charlotte made this afternoon.

On Tuesday we have fresh hummus, celery, rice crackers, sourdough bread, cheese and salami. The remaining days we will have salami,
Meals and SnacksMeals and SnacksMeals and Snacks

Some of the food we will carry
cheese, crackers and bread, hummus made from freeze dried, and a chicken salad one day.

For dinners:

Tuesday: we will carry in chicken thighs frozen until we leave. We will make Chicken Curry over rice with fresh carrots with a few pinion nuts added.

Wednesday: gluten free pasta with sauce made from sautéed onions and garlic, a little red wine to deglaze the pan, diced canned tomatoes, fresh oregano thyme basil, and pinion nuts.

Thurs: Warm Quinoa Salad; quinoa, artichoke hearts, canned garbanzo beans, pinion nuts and sun dried tomatoes

Friday: Salmon Shepherd’s Pie; a layer of carrots and canned corn, then a layer of canned salmon, then a heap of mashed potatoes, the instant kind.

Saturday: Canned pinto beans and corn over rice with fresh chilies.

We decided that instead of waiting for Monday afternoon to shop we’d start today and we are so glad that we did. We did find that we had a miscommunication so didn’t’ get the rice and did forget a couple of things that we can pick up tomorrow with no problem.

We were gone for hours and there is no way we could have gotten everything done tomorrow without going off the deep end.

Everything is being gathered in our living room now ready to assembly tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb