Coastal Cruising


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Heading to the Central Coast is always a good break from the summer heat here in the Valley. What are some options?
From 365 Traveler: You can nearly smell the spirits emanating from the rolling hills while touring around Paso Robles wine country. An estimated 300 wineries and a host of tasting rooms dot the region, making it one of California’s top wine regions. Vineyards stretch as far as you can see, and cover 33,000 acres, with the ideal conditions for producing the award-winning cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, rhône wines, and other grapes that it has become known for. Visiting the wineries here is one of the best things to do in Paso Robles.

Many local wineries welcome visitors to tour their vineyards to see behind-the-scenes of making their signature wine flavors, learn about the family’s wine-making history, and enjoy plenty of wine tastings to satisfy the wine-lover inside of you.



You can nearly smell the spirits emanating from the rolling hills while touring around Paso Robles wine country. An estimated 300 wineries and a host of tasting rooms dot the region, making it one of California’s top wine regions. Vineyards stretch as far as you can see, and cover 33,000 acres, with the ideal conditions for producing the award-winning cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, rhône wines, and other grapes that it has become known for. Visiting the wineries here is one of the best things to do in Paso Robles.

Many local wineries welcome visitors to tour their vineyards to see behind-the-scenes of making their signature wine flavors, learn about the family’s wine-making history, and enjoy plenty of wine tastings to satisfy the wine-lover inside of you.

Founded in 1979, Eberle Winery is one of the first to establish Paso Robles as a go-to wine destination and offers tours to showcase why. Tours take you through underground caves lined with oak barrels for aging the wines to perfection, before tasting a sampling of its limited annual production of chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, and cotes-du-robles.

Next, head over to Tobin James Cellars, whose award-winning cabernet sauvignons, merlot, and chardonnay flavors have made it one of the most popular wineries in the region. You’ll learn about its history dating back to 1987, before stepping inside the saloon-inspired Grand Antique Bar tasting room to see what the buzz is all about.

Later, journey to the hilltops of the Calcareous Vineyard, where nature plays a significant role in making its wine stand out. You’ll learn about the unique calcareous soil, where its name is derived, and how it enriches the vineyards with calcium to create memorable flavors of the signature cabernet sauvignon and other wines. Live music creates the perfect atmosphere for their wine tastings, set against the backdrop overlooking Salinas Valley.

Wine tasting works up quite an appetite, best satisfied by a meal at Thomas Hill Organics, a local farm-to-table restaurant. It maintains the organic traditions of the Central Coast with homegrown creative dishes that bring you back to life after a day of drinking wine.

I am a big supporter of Central Coast wines. But, in many cases (no pun intended), they are pricing themselves out of the market. Like I have always said, $20 is my limit, except for special occasions.

One of my favorite places to visit is Laetitia Vineyard and Winery, just south of Arroyo Grande. Why? For one, they have a pretty good brut rose'. Second, and perhaps most importantly, they have a great picnic area for us to have our lunch and bring Lexi along. We usually buy some sushi and bring it with us. After a short tasting, we have our lunch on their beautiful grounds.

Another place we have enjoyed, among many others, is Daou Winery in the foothills above Paso. Their wines seem to be a cut above (also pricier). I enjoy their Cab with a ribeye at our favorite restaurant, Ember, in Arroyo Grande. But I see that it is no longer on the "by the glass" menu.

Once in a while, a beer hits the spot. Visit Firestone Walker Brewing Company to experience signature brews from the first craft brewery, established in 1996. There are more than two dozen beer options at The Pour House and The Backyard. In addition, Silva Brewing Co. is a transplant from San Diego, that’s also joining the local craft brewery trend.

We often stop at Firestone Walker, since they have a patio for lunch. Lexi loves it there. And their lunch menu is quite good, along with a tall glass of 805, my new favorite beer.

And, the weather will be much cooler on the coast!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.434s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 35; qc: 146; dbt: 0.2765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb