Roadside Art and Other Distractions


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Alturas
May 20th 2010
Published: May 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Long StretchLong StretchLong Stretch

Lightly traveled.
19 May 2010 Red Bluff, California:

A Leisurely morning in Alturas was a vacation-paced pleasure. In hindsight, an early start would have provided dry roads, as the sunshine receded downwind and an ominous wall of gray greeted departure.

A lengthy consideration of weather and riding options led to the decision to head WSW past Red Bluff and stage for a Thursday ride of Highway 3. Thursday's forecast was the driest of the week and Hwy 3 is one of Northern California's finer back roads. A campground outside Platina, CA was the destination.

A kind word for California is in order: 65mph speed limits on many rural roads, and drivers who pull over when they see you want to pass. What an f-ing revelation!

The pleasure of rolling through NE California at a healthy clip was only diminished by the weather. The forecast was 80% showers, and that's about what the rain gods delivered. But the blustry, gusty wind demons delivered a surprise workout, as the frontal passage was vigorous. Rain riding attire worked well, but the tastier twisty sections required moderation of pace in the wet. Temps dropped to the low 40s over the pass near Mt.
Semper FidelisSemper FidelisSemper Fidelis

In a field. By the road. Good on ya.
Lassen and snow patches were abundant.

Two roadside installations required a stop: The first was a collection of metal sculptures made of mechanical scrap. Flying Old Glory and the Marine Corp colors and sporting futuristic weapons, there was a strong military tone. In the middle of nowhere with no other signage, they spoke for themselves.

The second was a 20' tall figure. Also in the middle of nowhere. With a guest book. Turns out it was a Muffler Man. These were produced in the 1970s for display in front of retail shops, primarily muffler shops.
The guest book contained the story. Google him.

The route I chose had a back road connection to get down to Hwy 36. It turned out to be a secret little gem, twisty, smooth, empty, too narrow for a center line. It descended down a steep slope from Shingletown to Manton, and then down a long gentle ridge to Dales. Beautiful. If it weren't for the brutal side wind toward Dales, it would have been a nice ride. When you are just wishing for the ride to end, it's a sure sign the buzz has been killed. I got over it. Anyway,
WTF?WTF?WTF?

Muffler Man. Google him.
I recommend this little back road connector.

Arriving in Red Bluff, the entire southern sky was a wall of gray squall line. I was fueling up under cover when this deluge hit. It was inspirational for my camping plans: I headed straight for the Sky Plaza Motel, another $40 bargain near downtown. It rained steadily until almost 9pm.

Thursday it's up Highway 3, maybe all the way to Yreka, and then assess the situation. More wetness is due Friday and Saturday, so it may well be time to head for the barn.

Thanks for the comments. Stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

McArthur, CaMcArthur, Ca
McArthur, Ca

Classic Architecture
Guest BookGuest Book
Guest Book

Muffler Man, they Googled him.
Big PinesBig Pines
Big Pines

Lassen National Forest
Hidden TreasureHidden Treasure
Hidden Treasure

Shingleton, Manton, Dales. Ride it.


20th May 2010

rain
Well least you are still enjoying the rain. It is fun reading your blogs. Thanks tif
20th May 2010

Give him a new hat and a plaid shirt and he could be Paul Bunyan. See any extra large blue oxen wandering around? BTW, the barn's ready any time you are, only, skip the teen movie party on Friday night!
21st May 2010

book suggestion
I don't know why, Bill, but this blog entry reminded me that i wanted to recommend a book series to you: The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. Gus got me onto it. I can't believe i'm actually reading the fifth book in the series of this totally swashbuckling medieval warlord saga...battle after battle between the Saxons and the Danes, but it's amazing historical fiction. If you like that sort of thing at all, you'll love this. The first volume is "The Last Kingdom." I'm learning a lot about the male psyche.
21st May 2010

Teen Movie Night
Most guys prefer a cave to a barn, but my "team" does need some room......
21st May 2010

Battle after Battle
Fighting the wind gust to keep on the road? Yea, I'm learning more about the male psyche all the time. Is that an oxymoron?
23rd May 2010

What the hell ya doin in Calif?
Hey, I did not get the triplicate forms for all friends entering California, dates, places and so on!! What's your route, how far south are coming, and how the heck are you? - Jill
23rd May 2010

California:
Avoiding muddy desert roads, Alturas-Red Bluff-Hayfork-Yreka, I'm Great! The triplicate form is buried in the blog!

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb