California Twisties


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Yreka
May 21st 2010
Published: May 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Red Bluff Bell TowerRed Bluff Bell TowerRed Bluff Bell Tower

Yes, shot from the bike.
21 May 2010, Ashland, Oregon:

Sitting by the campfire, enjoying a malted beverage, listening to Bandanna Blues by the rushing creek, clear skies and bachelor salad waiting in the cooler. Tent is pitched, mattress inflated and down bag fluffed. Life is good.

Today was the dry one of this week. The California twisties delivered!

Packed up and checked out of the Sky Terrace in Red Bluff. Stopped at the local drive-up latte stand. How come California has so many cute blond girls? Even Mom was hot. Go figure.....

Today's ride was to explore Highway 3. However there was a 70 mile preamble, the famous Highway 36. Having ridden this amazing road from Coast to Nevada border, I recall some of the most remarkable technical and fun riding of my experience. I forgot how delightful this segment of 36 was to ride. It was fantastic.

Highway 3 from the 36 junction to Hayfork was fairly tame, nice beautiful country. Oaks covering green grass hills. Signs if the cannibus industry began to show. Soil and fertilizer shops, Rastafarian colors around. Sketchy looking characters driving nice rigs. Hayfork. It's more than a destination.

The ride north of Hayfork
Oh Yea!Oh Yea!Oh Yea!

Okay boys, you may have some private time.
over Hayfork summit was technical and challenging. Highway 3 runs west along with 299 for a few miles and then continues north toward Yreka. The route follows along Trinity Lake and eventually over Scott Pass. The crux of this run is the run up and over Scott. Wow. Overcooked my first corner of the trip (okay, an uphill 20 mph that I entered at 25, no biggie, but I confess....). I have some video of this run, but I'm still working on the edit..... May post later.

Got to Yreka in time for a brief lunch and a check on the weather. Decision time: crap weather coming including snow in the higher elevations. Central Oregon options look snowy. Maybe a slab run along the lower elevations. Getting over the Siskou seemed a high priority. Located a campground with wi-fi in Ashland and hauled ass over the pass. Turned out to be a semi-sketchy outfit with numerous full-time resifdents. Has a nice feel, though.

Bought a couple of bundles of firewood, and have settled in for the evening.

May crash with friend Peter in Olympia tomorrow if the slab beckons. Depends on the weather......

Guten abend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Creekside FireCreekside Fire
Creekside Fire

That's the Woodman's Pal, Sis.


21st May 2010

Stay and enjoy shit weather here w 3000 ft snowlevel Cali looks great.
21st May 2010

looks beautifull. I hope you are having a great time. It looks like it
22nd May 2010

Nice blog
Hey, nice work. Too bad about the weather, but your right. Life is good. Glad your having a good time and thanks for sharing.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb