Sunday - Getting There


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arkansas » Little Rock
August 3rd 2008
Published: August 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Had a fine flight to Little Rock, Arkansas, otherwise known as the DEVIL'S OVEN! It was over 100 degrees, and it sure wasn't a dry heat. We had about a 4 hour drive to our destination in Reeds Springs, MO. Drove by or close to colorful little areas like Pickles Gap and Toad Suck Park (home of the Toad Suck Catfish Inn). After looking for over an hour for a 'local' restaurant along the way (they were all closed - Sunday?), we stopped at a Pizza Hut. This was the scariest Pizza Hut ever - inhabited by several people of various ages that were all related and were all barefoot! The idea of paying with a credit card threw them for a loop, so we paid cash to avoid a scene. As we ate, different members of the clan left and arrived - everyone was someone's uncle, or cousin, or parent, or all of the above. I was relieved to get my Ned Beatty butt out of there without doing any squealing...
We finally arrived and promptly went to the store to get groceries and such for the week. The closest grocery store was a Walmart, which had an OK selection
Little Rock airportLittle Rock airportLittle Rock airport

First time in Arkansas for both of us.
of merchandise. They also sell beer and wine. And (this was a first for me) they sell liquor - big displays in the aisles full of vodka, for instance. And just a couple aisles over, you can buy guns! So, if your shopping list says: 'socks, orange juice, cereal, rum, and a rifle', you can get it ALL at Walmart. On Sunday! Is this a great place or what.

When we returned to our condo after dinner (about 10:30PM), the noise from all the cicadas was tremendous! We are at the edge of the community and right next to the woods. As we approached our front door, which is an outside entrance, a very angry, and unseen, cicada suddenly and loudly 'barked' at us from the porch light right next to us and scared the hell out of us! (mostly Jeff)

(Sorry about the delay posting to the blog - it turns out we are in one of the '2% of buildings' that doesn't have internet access. It took me a day to figure out how to hook my phone up to my laptop to get on the net.)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb