Post Air Force Pre Trip Thoughts


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arkansas » Little Rock
April 17th 2007
Published: April 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Eli's Fini FlightEli's Fini FlightEli's Fini Flight

Eli's Last Flight, i.e. the off ramp of the danger zone.
YES!

That was the salutation, top-center, upon opening my college acceptance letter 15 years ago. A pretty happy moment. In fact I was ecstatic.

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is more the way I am feeling as Erin, Cleetus (and Lola-Belle in spirit) and I close up shop in Little Rock. House sold, all goods in storage indefinitely except for a week’s worth of clothes, some good whiskey, and the $9 tin of Old Bay’s, we said good-bye to President Clinton Ave, our close friends, and ten years in the Air Force.
Our destination? to wander for a bit, a “walk-about.” It almost felt like a trip to the store where you get a notion, no an urge, to keep driving West and after buying more sundry items than you initially planned, rushing to the car, pausing for a deep breath, a count of the pulse and a small smile, you actually do it. No guilt, no looking back wondering what you left behind—been there, done that—just hitting the road with only the weight of your T-shirt on your back.
Actually, to quote my friend Chris, “HIBIBIBIDY-HEA-YEAH!!!!!!!” The feel of a one-way ticket! And you’re driving the bus! And you have
That's Mr. Tate To YouThat's Mr. Tate To YouThat's Mr. Tate To You

Mr. Tate and future Mrs. Wilhelm-Hilkey-Tate. No name tags for her!
the Old Bay!

We did make more preparations for the journey than stocking up at the store. We sold our house in a near-record three days thanks to some fine color-picking by one resident painter/owner (not me! I repeatedly hear this fly-boy is color blind.) and our good realtor friend, Scott, who still owes Erin some flowers. We bought some new tires for the Highlander, read up on digital cameras, and gave away as much of our junk as possible.
We didn’t do very well on the de-junking as the car was so full of clothes, books, Cleetus et bones et treats et al, camera bags, and bourbon that there was no room for groceries and sundry items. So we looked at our newly purchased $19.95 Motor Carrier’s Road Atlas and picked one of our favorite places on Earth: a place with three health-food grocery stores within .6 miles of each other and no Kroger’s, a place of spiritual spiritualness, a place with excellent restaurants negating any trips to any grocery stores, a place of beauty. We are off to Santa Fe for the first leg of the journey—a journey with no time constraints, a journey limited only by our imaginations and our dog, a journey with only two absolutes: our wedding October 20th and the Chief’s home opener on September 23rd.



Advertisement



23rd April 2007

Eli - that is an awesome picture of you coming off your last flight mission. a picture is worth a thousand words, and i can see it all in that one photo. congrats again, and safe travels to you and Erin.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb