Beaver Dam Wilderness Pioneer Ruins


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
June 11th 2010
Published: January 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Beaver Dam Wilderness Pioneer Ruins


The Virgin River has helped to create several impressive Southwestern landscapes, starting with the great white cliffs and canyons of Utah’s Zion National Park and ending at the upper end of Lake Mead in Nevada, where it eventually meets the Colorado River. In between, it flows across the very northwest tip of Arizona for 30 miles, through two gaunt ranges of hills – the Virgin and Beaver Dam Mountains, which have similar, Grand Canyon-like scenery of eroded, stepped cliffs and terraces of metamorphosed sandstone. The Virgin Mountains are the more extensive and isolated range, running alongside the river as far as the north edge of the lake, and forming the southwest edge of the Colorado Plateau; to the west stretch the flat, arid plains of the Mojave Desert, terrain that extends for hundreds of miles across Nevada and California. The Beaver Dam Mountains are a little more accessible but just as rugged and scenic, and part is a designated wilderness area – an untamed region of Joshua trees and cacti, lizards and mountain sheep, and much colorful, weathered rock.

Along the Virgin River if one wishes to experience the pioneer spirit one may wish to check this out along Interstate 15 just exiting the Virgin River Gorge to the north several pioneer ruins are visible although almost un-noticeable access can be found by taking Beaver Dam Littlefield exit and following it through Beaver Dam and following old highway 91. On the right you will see an access road stating Virgin River access the first authorized road on the right take this road and follow this map once parked you can hike the rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0921s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb