Tour around northern Arizona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
March 14th 2006
Published: March 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

From Las Vegas we drove to Grand Canyon. On the way we drove a part of the legendary route 66, now a quiet highway going through small old fashioned towns that don't seem to have changed since the 50s. Old fashioned diners and gas stations create a unique and warm atmosphere.

The winter is a bit late this year and it had been snowing a couple of days earlier on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. There was still snow on the ground but fortunately all the roads were dry. Good thing when driving a rental car with summer tires.

We had hoped to go backpacking in Grand Canyon for a couple of days but we hadn't booked backcountry permits in advance and there was none left so we couldn't go. Since we didn't know exactly what day we would arrive to Grand Canyon we didn't book the permits in advance and we trusted that there wouldn't be that many hikers at this time of the year. Well, we thought wrong. The night time temperatures can still be freezing but apparently we are not the only people crazy enough to go camping in that kind of weather. Instead we went for a day hike on South Kaibab trail, which was a really nice hike with amazing scenery and perfect weather.

From Grand Canyon we drove to Sedona, a small touristy town in the red rock country. A beautiful place indeed but we weren't as lucky with the weather this time. It was cold and cloudy the whole time so we spent most of the time in the car driving from viewpoint to another.

After Sedona we headed north and visited Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley before reaching Page. The Antelope Canyon in Page was one of the reasons we decided to come to this part of the world in the first place. And it was really worth it. The deep and narrow canyon is made of soft sand stone with unbelievable shapes and colors. It is just breathtakingly beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cooking lunchCooking lunch
Cooking lunch

Still a long way to the bottom
ChipmunkChipmunk
Chipmunk

This chipmunk was interested in our lunch and tried to get its share
Long climb back to the rimLong climb back to the rim
Long climb back to the rim

For some reason the way up seemed much longer than the way down...
The Monument ValleyThe Monument Valley
The Monument Valley

You have seen it in many movies.


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 86; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb