Arizona and Fiesta Bowl 2008


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
August 5th 2008
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

WVU Wins the Bowl Game, and We Explore Arizona



Note: First, I want to recognize Andy, as he supplied all of these photos except for one. Also, apologies that it's taken so long for me to get around to doing this...

Back in January of 2008, because of my dad's role on the WVU Athletic Council, I was fortunate enough to be able to join my parents in Arizona to see the Fiesta Bowl live and was able to bring Andy along as well. We had a great time in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and at the game--can't wait until next year's bowl game!

Arizona Outdoors

Before heading to the bowl game, my dad, Andy and I went for a hike up Scottdale's famous mountain/rock formation, Camelback. The view from the top was definitely worth the arduous climb. Take a look at the photo here to see how it got its name.

One day, Andy and I also went for a guided horseback ride on a Native American reservation. (Incidentally, the corral owners were not Native American--think they had said they relocated from the Midwest.) On the ride, we got to see beautiful desert landscapes and fascinating wildlife, including bald eagles and a free range steer that was the saddest looking bag of bones you could imagine.

Game Day

All I can really say is that the game was amazing! There were so many WVU fans there, and everyone was really into supporting the team.

On our way there, the governor of West Virginia rode on our travel bus; so, we were able to get to the stadium with little trouble. The governor had a police escort--on the road and in the air--to control traffic and, I'm sure, to monitor his safety. It was pretty impressive.

When we first got to the game, the roof of the dome was open to the beautiful Arizona sky. However, the stadium officials had to close it before the pre-game ceremonies began because during the National Anthem, the game executives (or whatever they are called) arranged to have a captive bald eagle fly around the stadium. It was awesome to hear the crowd cheer!

Of course, the Mountaineer marching band ("the pride of West Virginia") performed, and those who know me well know that I sang my heart out when "Country Roads" was played!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Back of GoliathThe Back of Goliath
The Back of Goliath

The horse that Andy rode...
Eagles in the TreesEagles in the Trees
Eagles in the Trees

We saw bald eagles--adults and babies--on our horseback adventure.
Police Escort to the GamePolice Escort to the Game
Police Escort to the Game

Helps to have a governor on your bus!
The Governor of WVThe Governor of WV
The Governor of WV

Back of the governor's head (front, center)
Cops Stop TrafficCops Stop Traffic
Cops Stop Traffic

Too bad the governor didn't ride back with us after the bowl game.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb