Christmas 2022 Reflections


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
December 23rd 2022
Published: December 23rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

This is Tom's and my 53rd Christmas together. As Tom and I had lunch today, it occurred to me we have come “full circle”. In no particular order let us see just how…

In 1969 we left Seattle in early September for our life together as Mr. and Mrs. Dyer, from our parents’ homes.

In 2022 we left the Seattle area in late September for our life together as Mr. and Mrs. Dyer, retired. “Homeless from our 30-year residence”.



It was just the two of us. Far from home to Pensacola FL. Career ahead

This year, it is just the two of us, in Yuma, far from home. Retirement ahead



Our first home was a rented mobile home in a mobile home park in Florida.

Our new home is our own Arctic Fox 37-foot 5th wheel, right now in an RV park in Yuma AZ.



Then as now, our “neighbors” are the same ages, similar situations.



We had one car and Tom drove it to work.

Now we have one vehicle, a Ford 350 Super Duty King Ranch that Tom loves to drive. We both had Washington state drivers licenses then AND still do now.



We had no “stuff” — no traditions. No tree, no lights, no collected ornaments.

This year, our “stuff” is in storage or given away. No tree, no lights, but a few collected ornaments.



Our first Christmas, my father came to visit. He is in Heaven visiting us from afar.

This year, lots of phone calls, text messages, emails to keep in touch, and Our Heavenly Father is with us.



I was learning to cook as a wife, all on my own, new foods, new recipes, eating simply, on a budget… tuna fish, mac & cheese, pizza

I am learning to cook on a gas stove and oven, and a microwave - convection oven. Simple meals and limited storage for foods or leftovers, so learning to cook in smaller quantities than I have for 50 years.



Had to get new eating utensils and plates, pots and pans, towels, outfitting new living quarters in 1969.

Kept some plates and a bowl from original set but new eating utensils, pots & pans, My Pillow towels and sheets for 2022.



Pensacola was home of the Navy Flight School and the Blue Angels in 1969, so the sound of Navy aircraft was all around, day and night.

Yuma has a Marine Corps Air Station nearby, so the sound of jets is all around, day and night. Tom still can’t resist finding the metal birds in the sky.



In 1969 to 2022 and all the 53 years between, we are still holding hands, gazing into each other’s eyes with love and adoration.



We pray for your peace, joy, and His Love at this time of reflection. We are thankful for you, we are grateful for what God has provided, we pray for America and you.



Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Natalie and Tom

Advertisement



24th December 2022

2022 Christmas
Merry Christmas and happy new year to both of you. I enjoyed reading about the then and now. So it brings up a question - you mentioned Tom in Navy Flight School and the Blue Angels. Did he go on to become a flyer and was he one of the Blue Angels? I knew he was special, but WOW! Even if he wasn't one of the Blue Angels! Lots of love to you both. Thinking of you as we wait for family to arrive for our family Christmas gathering.
9th January 2023

Sweet
I had to go over this a second time to think about all the dares. Amazing and wonderful. Full circle. We are so happy for you. ❤D&D
25th January 2023

Press On
Looks like I found some Nat n Tom trail evidence! Glad to know you're alive and well! Keep the shiny side up!

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb