Wednesday the 13th


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
April 13th 2022
Published: April 14th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Boy it was cold this morning – we awoke to about 37 degrees!! So I begged off on the early-morning hike. We got to one of the “in town” bird feeding stations at Dave Jaspers at 8:15. There are a number of “public” bird feeder stations around Portal – in fact they are marked on the map that everyone hands out. Donation boxes sit out, and we see many people popping $1 in them “for the bird feed,” and indeed they probably spend that much, filling the sugar water, sunflower seeds, finch flax, corn, etc 2-3 times a day. Often someone from the house will come out and sit, and point out birds too, which is extra fun. We saw 2 NEW hummers today: the Lucifer (he didn’t look that evil, but is the only humming bird here with a curved bill) and the tiny Calliope.

Then we set out on the south fork walk – described as an easy one mile to “the bathtub,” which is just a place where the stream is deeper and the bounders large.

The goal of that walk was to spy the Elegant Trogan, but no one we met had seen it today, just likely spots – which in fact was anywhere along the walk and especially around the sycamore trees. We enjoyed the lovely Painted Redstarts (which remind me of one trip to England, where every article of clothing was black, white, and red), and also found a new Dusky Flycatcher (you can tell they are flycatchers because they perch and then whizz off for a snack and return back to the same perch usually), and also a Black-Throated Gray Warbler.

We chatted briefly to at least 6 people, many of whom were self-avowed NOT birders. They just like the views and the exercise. One lady from Virginia said she hikes every year a short section of the Appalachian Trail with a friend who is an ornithologist, who points out every migrating warbler, but she forgets it till the next year. I can relate to that!

We also chatted to a volunteer at the visitor center who said people who rely on Merlin and other apps to identify birds are stunting their hypocampus (spelling?) – instead they should be struggling the old-fashioned way to learn to identify birds. OK. I would say we mostly use the books and read the details, but it sure is fun when David submits a photo to Merlin and it identifies it for us. Hallelujah!

It took us about 2 hours to go that one mile!!! We crossed the stream at 5 points, using stepping stone rocks, and I was glad to have my hiking sticks for balance. David was more challenged with no poles but carrying his big lens. We got as far as the “Bath Tub” pictured, and then turned around and came back in half the time. It’s not possible to walk really quickly in any rate, because of the many stones underfoot. Nothing like the soft grounds of Ohio or PA trails. The Sycamores along the creekbed were lovely, as were the red rocks on both sides.

After our hike we were very peckish (should remember to carry bars with us and not just water) so we returned to the Portal Café and split a guacamole bacon burger. Yum.

I had started the hike with my long sleeves, vest, and windbreaker but quickly tied the jacket around my waist. Sitting at the café under a bit of shade it was a little chilly again – like a perfect 65 or so and sunny of course.

Back to the chase – back to 2 of the feeding stations, especially as the light would be different. Just fyi, there were 6-7 people already at each. It’s helpful to have more eyes to point out the birds that flit in and out. We got a photo of a Green-tailed Towhee after someone pointed it out.

David had promised me time at the Chiricahua Desert Museum, but we didn’t get there till 45 mins before closing, so just walked thru the extensive gift shop. Sadly, only quail fridge magnets and not the little wooden or pottery ones I’ve been admiring. Guess Amazon will come through for me again, but it won’t be the same. The lady at the shop was the painter of the amazing (and big) oils on the walls – storms above the red rocks, sunsets, etc. We vowed to go back with more time for the museum.

It’s an interesting set up there – a museum, a gift shop, an events center (and considering we haven’t seen a church, let along a fellowship hall), and campsite. We were nosy and drove around behind it and – yeppers – found a new bird: Lark Bunting.

We also learned something interesting about the Road Runners – which we have seen once in AZ but not close up and not to photograph. Evidently they are carnivores who are very nasty! They’ve been known to run into one of these feed-stations, grab an oriole and run off. That would be rather horrifying.

Returning home, I got to take a well-deserved nap. But then afterwards David came in and sat on my glasses, breaking the left arm. Uh oh. It could have been worse – it could have been HIS glasses. So, as it is filigree, we tied it together to the frame with some Young Living dental floss (See, Sue!) and a bit of bandaid. Then went to our Hosts’ house and asked for a paper clip and electrical tape. I’m almost as good as new. It was dusky time when I walked over there, and they had SIX javelinas munching corn right outside the front area (which has a 15” wall enclosing it).

After all, we have only one day home before we help lead the Marriage Encounter Weekend – glasses definitely needed – and then one day after that before leaving for the Caymans. I guess I could wear my snorkeling goggles when I needed to read or create this blog. Have done that before actually when I had left my glasses out in the car and we couldn't be bothered to go get them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.389s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb