Here We Are In Yuma Again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Yuma
November 29th 2012
Published: November 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We’re in Yuma. This is our fourth year to snowbird from the Pacific Northwest to southern Arizona for the winter. We are settled in for a month at Country Roads RV Resort for a month. This year, we took a few extra days to make the mosey down here from home.



We took three days to get from home to Redding CA, instead of our customary two. From Redding, it was an easy day drive to Flag City RV Park on the west side of Lodi, CA, where we spent three nights. We went wine tasting and to dinner with friends I made online several years ago. There is hardly a patch of spare ground in and around Lodi that is not devoted to growing grapes. And we did a little wine tasting the extra days spend at Flag City.



From Lodi, we drove south to Bakersfield where we spent two nights at the Orange Grove RV Park. Unfortunately, the oranges weren’t ready for picking. So, we went to a nearby fruit stand and purchased a couple of date shakes, and other goodies.



From Bakersfield, we headed east over Tehachapi Pass, and made our way to Indio, CA, where we hosted Jon Dunn and his lovely wife Lisa to dinner and libation at a Mexican food restaurant. Our second night in Indio led us to a Popeye’s Fried Chicken emporium.



Our final leg of the mosey south was an easy drive from Indio to Yuma, south past the Salton Sea, a shallow, saline, endorheic rift lake located directly on the California San Andreas Fault. We continued through the east side of El Centro, and then east to Yuma.



We are all set up at Country Roads. The Weber Grill is ready for duty. Our fold-up bikes are unfolded, and I put air in the bike tires and the bike trailer tires. We have already given little Minnie a tour around the Resort in her trailer, which I refer to as a beer cart, and which is also used to haul trash to the garbage and recycle bins.



We strap Minnie into what we call her princess seat so that she can’t jump out of the trailer. She seems cool with the idea that she is on parade.



We’ve contacted our friends Mavis and Al who live in the foothills, east of Yuma in a nicely appointed double-wide. Like us, they winter south and summer north in Washington State. This past summer, we had them over to the homestead for my famous smoked seafood trilogy. On Saturday, they will host us to a barbecue at their place on Al’s new grill.



A couple of days ago, my ankle rolled on me as I stepped out of the 5th wheel. I was able to tuck and roll, and minimize the damage. We iced it, raised it and compressed it. That minimized the swelling and pain. It is not a pretty sight, but I am able to get around with a slight hitch in my gait.



Yuma has been warm for the few days we’ve been here. We had to turn on the air conditioner in the afternoons. This is our third year to visit Country Roads. Yuma is the warmest place this side of the Divide during the month of December.



The day after Christmas, we hitch up and head east to Casa Grande, Arizona.

Advertisement



29th November 2012

Travelin' Man (and Woman...and Dog)
Good to hear from you! Glad to know travels south were uneventful. Be careful with those ankles. Hard to be a champion lawn bowler when you are wounded. But I know you will, like all prime athletes, soldier on for the glory. Be well.
29th November 2012

good to hear from ya
Hey Pat, great to hear from you, I always love reading your blog! We are busy stripping wall paper off the kitchen, readying for a new paint job and new kitchen floors, with Rick and Galen leading the remodel site. Will be very glad to be on the other side of it! Hope your ankle is better and not holding you back! Miss you guys, sending lots of love to the oly trio. Ada
29th November 2012

air conditioner
You just had to rub in air conditioner to us that are feeling 29-31 back here in Wa state! So glad Minnie turned out to be a lovely companion for both of you I almost bought a place in Casa Grande but passed it on to the next buyer I am still looking ...if I had we could do a bbq cook off...yea I know Paddy is the champ but I am the new kid on the block with an element of surprise....have a great time and stop hurting yourself!
11th December 2012

Glad you're enjoying the mosey south
Nice to hear you've arrived safely. Hopefully the ankle is doing better by now. Looking forward to hearing about the lawnbowling experiences too. Needless to say we've not had any need for air conditioning here! There are, however, many lights and decorations up and we missed you at the annual CRHA meeting. Thanks for the update.

Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 80; dbt: 0.1893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb