The story so far.........


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
September 14th 2013
Published: September 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Salton seaSalton seaSalton sea

Salton sea recreational area
Arrived LAX, took 2hrs to clear customs an immigration, moved from room to room, no one knew where we should be. Lots of waiting around, a bit of a nightmare. Hotel eventually, hooray, long day over 12hrs.

Departed LA, still couldn't get away from queuing when collecting car, about 45 mins. Connected the sat nav but had a few issues, being Friday the 13th this didnt bode well, but sprung into life. Temperature on the road creeping up, 102F - 111F very hot, leaving LA seemed to take for ever, this is one large impersonal city. Hundreds of wind turbines in the desert hot springs area, looked like an alien invasion. Decided to go to yuma via salton sea, so headed south at indo took the 111 south to El Centro same route Jeremy Clarkson took in Top Gear on the way to the Mexican border, very relaxing drive as compared to the other side of the lake. Arrived at Yuma around 7pm, one long day.

Today onto tucson. Decided to have a stroll around the hotel area before leaving as its next to the Colorado river and today's drive is only 243 miles, temp at 9:30 was about
Colorado riverColorado riverColorado river

Viewed from the quartermaster depot in Yuma.
32C, time to leave. Plugged in sat nav and it decided to give up the ghost, no amount of prodding would spring it into life, lost without it so a new one was required. Got directions to the local best buy store and one new sat nav later we were on our way. On through the Sonoran desert and temp starting to climb again, 110F (car temp still imperial). Plentry of cacti to see, stopped and trespassed over the barbed wire and had photo with one of the largest cactus ever seen. Checked in at hotel and decided to find El Guero canelo, the fine dining Mexican establishment, as featured on man v food. To be honest more like a cantina, but the Sonoran dogs were good. Back to the hotel for a few glasses of vino before bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Sonoran desert, Arizona. Sonoran desert, Arizona.
Sonoran desert, Arizona.

Keren and a cactus.
El Guero CaneloEl Guero Canelo
El Guero Canelo

Home of the Sonoran dog, fine Mexican dining.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb