biosphere 2 and desrt museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
August 6th 2006
Published: August 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

did some cool things here in tucson besides being worked hard by the udall foundation, my scholarship foundation. i went to the biosphere 2, which is a crazy concept. trying to replicate the earth in a building that is completely sealed off from the earth. of course it failed when people tried to live in it because you can never replicate all the wonderful interdependencies of the natural world. ironically, they ran out of oxygen because 'the co2 levels were too high. hmmm. and they didnt even use the plants from the different "ecosystems" for food and medicine. they brought in meds and used chemical intensive agriculture. like that will work on mars.
then i went with the udall group to the desert "museum" which is really a zoo. i felt bad for the bear and the puma, but everything else seemed well cared for and at least they are animals that live normally in the desert environment. it was a beautiful drive there, passing only areas that give off the feeling of "landscape". little mountains and cacti-filled desert land. i highly recommend going to this place if you are ever in tucson, though dont order ice cream at the cafe. i felt like i was in a cartoon. the second i walked out the door i went to take my second bite and it was all melted in the cup. its damn hot here to say the least. looking forward to going back to africa where the climate is much more hospitable...i never thought i would say that.
picked up some wall mart items. bought barber shop razors for a friend in tanzania who wants to open a barber shop and candy and a pillow and some other odds and ends.
in any case, ill be flying "?home" tomorrow at 10:30, not really looking forward to starting class again. i know i say this alot, buy language is so much harder than i thought it would be, especially when i have so many other things i want to be doing. take care and send me comments! thanks for all the messages i have already gotten from you all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb