Day 13-14-15 Tucson Arizona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
October 22nd 2011
Published: October 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

On the road again!!! Ok, we made it across Texas State. As they say, “Everything is big in Texas”, even the State. We drove across desolate New Mexico, it seemed endless and we watched the gas gage closely!! Finally, civilization again! We made it without any car trouble…
Tucson is hot and dry. The temperature was mid to high 90s and we LOVED it. Yes it’s hot, but early mornings are great, and late afternoon into the evening is awesome.
The next day, we traveled 40 minutes southeast of Tucson to visit “Kartchner Caverns”. We had a tour of a living cave. What an awesome experience. This cavern was discovered in the 1970s by 2 guys, Gary and Randy, who loved to explore caves. What’s amazing is when you are outside looking at the mountain, it looks like all the others around, but when inside, you can’t believe how hollow this mountain is. Its opening, after walking through a carved tunnel, is about a football field long. I was a bit nervous at first, knowing that I was underground. The cave has calcite formations that continue to grow (1/10th of an inch every 100 years). Some stalactites are still dripping down
Landscape Landscape Landscape

Tucson Az
like icicles and stalagmites reaching up from the ground. The tallest one called “Kubla Khan” is 5 stories high. I could go on and on about this tour. If you ever go to Tucson, this is a MUST SEE.
On the 21st, we toured the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. It’s a zoo, botanical garden and history museum outdoor in the desert many miles away from civilization. The desert walk was very peaceful and hot as there wasn’t much shade except for the manmade pergolas. They had native animals, a hummingbird garden, butterfly garden, just to name a few… Later in the day, we hung out by the pool just to enjoy our last evening in Tucson.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



22nd October 2011

WOW!!!!
Great pictures! I can't believe the weather...what a treat! Make you want to get a convertible? Or super appreciative of AC! Speaking of cars....has gas been cheaper in the south and west than in New England and the North? You always see in the movies the fun long distance drives down desolate desert highways...but it could get a bit bothersome to say the least wondering about the next station for sure!!!! When we drove from California to Minnesota when Michael got out of the Navy, (gosh back in 1996!) we broke down outside of Needles on our way to Flaggstaff Arizona....truckers saw we had a baby and a dog and would pull over to offer us water! I am just so excited that the weather has been so wonderful for the trip thus far...makes it all the better I am sure. All of your adventures and wonderful educational info has been wonderful to follow, learn about and I am sure has taken all your followers down memory lanes of their own adventures! I can hear the excitement in your voice as you type! Hi to all...safe travels...a wonderlusting you will go...
23rd October 2011
Road to Desert Museum

you go girl
love the updates talk to you soon,what an awesome trip to experience. Love Christine
24th October 2011
Landscape

Picturesque
What beautiful pictures! They are postcard pictures....however, I don't see Joe...did you guys ditch him in the desert?

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb