In the Boneyard


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
August 28th 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

F4 Fighters as far as the eye can seeF4 Fighters as far as the eye can seeF4 Fighters as far as the eye can see

Need some target practice? Just the thing!
Greetings, guns 'n ammo fans!

We started our journey through the US with the antics of the Alaskan Machine Gun Association, so it seems fitting that we should leave the place with one final display of the instrumentation of mayhem and death courtesy of 'The Boneyard', or the Aircraft Maintenance and Regeneration Group (AMARG) as it is properly known.

Located in Tucson's South East quarter, this is a massive area of desert dedicated to the storage, recommisioning and decomissioning of over half a century's worth of airborne military hardware. There are over 4,300 planes here in various states, stretching out across the barren sands. Why? There's next to no moisture to cause corrosion, and the desert floor makes an excellent base for towing the things around.

Feast your eyes on the following beauties:

Around 700 F4 Fighters lined up in rows, steadily being converted into remote controlled target practice for the fighter guys to blow to pieces over the Mojave desert.

The Warthog. This baby carries a gun that fires foot long, 30mm calibre bullets with depleted uranium heads - 70 of them per second. As used on the legendary 'Road to Basra' turkey shoot. Take
WarthogWarthogWarthog

I guess its mother loves it.
that, Saddam Hoo-sein!

Starlifter transporters - ideal for shifting massive tanks about the place a few at a time.

Intercontinental ballistic missile shells. All the nuclear related equipment here needs to remain on open display to the Ruskies (by satellite and in person) since the SALT 2 (Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty) agreement of 1979. That includes all the B52 bombers that were/are capable of delivering nuclear weapons.

A quality end to our USA experience, I'm sure you will agree, although unlike the Alaskan Machine Gun boys, the US military were reluctant to let us play with any of their toys.

And finally, I was in Wells Fargo Bank getting myself a few Pesos, and told the female cashier that we were heading down into Mexico and Central America. She looked at me with a completely straight face, and said "God bless you". The Mexicans definitely need to look around for a new bunch of PR people in this part of the world.

Hasta luego!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

StarlifterStarlifter
Starlifter

Unfeasibly large. The small things sitting in a line in the foreground are normal sized planes.
Ballistic missilesBallistic missiles
Ballistic missiles

You never know when they might come in handy.
Smile...Smile...
Smile...

...time to die!


29th August 2009

guns'n'joses
Maybe our politicians aren't so thick after all - better to go to war with these guys than against them if those are the bits they don't need any more! And while we're back talking about blokes stuff - how are the technical underpants holding up? Good luck in Mexico. Pistols and bandoliers from here on.
29th August 2009

Goin' South
North America seems to have gone by surprisingly quickly.
30th August 2009

Great
Just loved the article, yeah those things are massive. Can't wait for the Mexico bit Cheers
30th August 2009

I'm becoming suspicious...
... that your trip is sponsored by the National Rifle Association and US military-industrial complex. Hope you're packin' as you head south...
31st August 2009

boneyard expert
Hi guys, How are the butts doing?? Boneyard expertise is worrying Max. All well in sunny (just started raining!) Bilsdale. Watch out for the fiery Nachos - think for your average american female bank teller, that would be the most frightening prospect, so be cool! Dont forget to roll cheroots in the side of your mouth, then no one will mess with you! love to both xxxx
1st September 2009

I'm becoming concerned with your fascination of all things dangerous and deadly.... Rambo is springing to mind!
1st September 2009

Boys Toys
Well, my boys loved the photos of these planes and missiles (no surprise there), but good god, man, how's Christine coping with all these boys toys ... on top of sharing a lake with hairy-arsed bikers! The mind boggles. Sounds like you'll need luck and your wits about you down Mexico way. Or maybe a drop of the hard stuff. Thinking of you both and looking forward to the next blog, which I'm hoping will be suitable tequila-tinged.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb