Preparing for departure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tempe
September 20th 2007
Published: September 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This will be my first ever entry in the realm of TravelBlog.com, and I feel that its best to do a prelude to our upcoming adventure to test the site. I have grown comfortable and quite fond of my livejournal page, but alas, it can no longer offer me the latest and most convenient quirks of blogging-- and by that I specifically mean the map! I am quite fond of this as a tool for my friends and family to really track me as we move across South East Asia, and then maybe even as we dive into our Peace Corps service in Eastern Europe (come March 08)...
As for now, Chris and I are anxiously counting down the days until our lives as we know them-- that is, here in the Maple house in Tempe, with our garden and bicycles and date palms and hookah lounge, our world very much embedded in the college life/ social & university events and groups-- will end. Once we lock our door for the final time and embark on those planes (we are going separately, but you'll find out why very soon) this life will be gone. Someday we will return to a Tempe of the light rail system, a totally remodeled downtown, infinitely more university buildings and students, and all... of our friends... will have moved on as well. We are passing time at work-- stockpiling a bit of money needed for the trip-- and dedicatedly selling all of our possessions on craigslist. Parting with our material goods is like an all over cleansing. I can't stand to have so much "stuff" around, though in the moment it is so hard to decide yes, that will go. We are going to keep some things that are purely emotional-- letters, drawings, collected paraphernalia, etc. that simply cannot be replaced from IKEA or whatever future store might be available to us (say, in Turkey?). Oh but the future is wide open. Who knows where we will be? For now, Tempe, and in only a moment the bustling market stalls of Chiang Mai, a boat floating lazily down the Mekong, sitting beside an ancient overgrown temple at Angkor, or trekking into the dense jungles of Malaya.
Please come back for more updates. 😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



14th October 2007

Can't wait
Courtney, I hope you have an awesome time! I really look forward to reading about your latest adventure. Don't forget about all of us!
25th October 2007

What about you?
Lots of great pictures but what about one of the author? Give us all a treat! Your favorite uncle
2nd November 2007

hooray!
thanks for sending me a link to this! i can't wait to read about all yr adventures. that last picture of chris with the racket and the rainbow in the background is EPIC!
5th November 2007

This is so cool
Habibi, this site is awesome, can't wait to see some of the pictures from ChiangMai ~ keep us all posted :)

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb