Wacky Arizona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Scottsdale
March 10th 2020
Published: March 7th 2020
Edit Blog Post

I always thought Arizona was a little different. Let's see why. The first McDonald drive through opened back in 1975, revolutionizing fast food, eating on the road, and that awful smell in your car for weeks! The London Bridge is here, owned by the city of Lake Havasu City since 1968. You can thank Robert McCulloch for buying the antique bridge for $2.46 million. Why on earth would they film the movie, "Oklahoma!" here in Arizona? Filmmakers could not find enough undeveloped land in OK. Many great national parks and monuments along with the Grand Canyon. Make sure to visit Antelope Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Organ Pipe Cactus, Montezuma Castle, Vermilion Cliffs, and Walnut Canyon, among others. Oatman, AZ is famous for its burros, which are descendants of of animals used by miners, then abandoned. They wander around town, and collect handouts from tourists. The Arizona Territory has seen more than its share of colorful, and legendary characters. These included the Earp Brothers, Billy the Kidd, Cochise, the Clantons, Geronimo, and Barry Goldwater. The mean elevation of Arizona is 4100 feet above sea level. There are 26 mountain peaks above 10,000 feet. The Arizona trout is found only in Arizona. Fancy that! Arizona produces the most copper in the U.S. Petrified wood is the state fossil. Turquoise is the official gemstone. The bola tie is the official state neckwear. The ringtail fox is the official state mammal. The tree frog is the state amphibian. Blue and gold are the official state colors. Like my California Golden Bears!!!! The age of the saguaro is determined by its height. Arizona became a state on August 14, 1912. I am certain you have your own list of Arizona weirdness.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb