Saguaro National Park


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a leisurely breakfast, we drove over to Saguaro National Park East. We went into the visitor's center and looked at the exhibits and got the guide. There was a one-way drive with informational stops. We learned that each saguaro will produce over a million poppy-seed sized seeds in its 150 year lifespan and if only ONE grows into a new plant, the naturalists consider it successful. In order to survive, it has to be eaten by a bird, deposited under a tree in its head-start fertilizer, and grow under the "nurse" plant. The "nurse" plant is usually a palo verde tree or a mesquite tree that shades the baby from the hot sun, from frost, and protects it from getting stepped on or eaten. Who knew?
The other cacti were in bloom, too - several kinds of prickly pear, which Rich liked, and several kinds of cholla. Some wildflowers were still blooming, too, including the ocotillo, which we found out is not really a cactus.
The drive was interesting and pretty. we went back to the camper for a rest, and then, in the late afternoon we drove over to Saguaro National Park West to get oriented for tomorrow. The
OcotilloOcotilloOcotillo

Landscape in the park
signage was terrible, but we found our way on a very bumpy dirt road. The saguaro were in bloom, but since it was late in the day, they were mostly closed up. Only a few blooms open each day, hoping to be pollinated. they only bloom for that one day, and then other buds bloom the next day. We're looking forward to our drive tomorrow around this same loop, earlier in the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



19th May 2010

Thanks!
Thanks so much for the wonderful e-mails about your travels! It's almost like traveling with you!......grand!.....but, but, but.....would love to actually be with you experiencing the marvels of our country! :) Ah-h-h-h! Carson remains "Carson". Except.....the weeds have been "prolific" this year! In fact, I'm almost "out the door" with tools of destruction! Onward! :) Continue having a great time! See you when I see you! :) Happy trails to you!......until we meet again!

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb