Desert Hikes


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Quartzsite
February 9th 2023
Published: April 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

So many lovely hikes in the desert. Some hikes were for the purpose of rock/crystal hunting and others for exercise. You could walk any direction from our RV and take a great hike! The views from the top of mountain peaks are stunning. Our hiking poles are a great aid when hiking rough terrain. Always enjoyable to take a stroll with friends! Here is a sampling of the amazing hikes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Base of the mountainBase of the mountain
Base of the mountain

This hike we drove Linda's car part way to the mountain and then hiked to the base of the mountain. Looking for rock and crystal treasures all the way there and back, of course.
Morning hikeMorning hike
Morning hike

Stacey always on the search for crystals...and she usually found them.
WashWash
Wash

We often crossed several washes as we hiked near camp. Rare to have water in them, but always lots of shrubs, trees, and even flowers along the wash.
Wide open spaceWide open space
Wide open space

This is an area near our campsite in Quartzsite. It was a favorite spot to head for a morning hike.
ClimbingClimbing
Climbing

There were hills and mountains all around that added a little challenge to the hikes.
FriendsFriends
Friends

Patti, Moira, and Trixie ahead of me on the hike. Always wonderful conversations, beautiful views, and treasures found on these hikes.
MascotMascot
Mascot

We all love Trixie joining us on our hikes and took turns holding her lead. She is the best hiking companion!
Crystal huntingCrystal hunting
Crystal hunting

Patti searching for treasure at a stop during a side-by-side ride.
Palm CanyonPalm Canyon
Palm Canyon

Starting the trail to the palms
Is there a canyon there. Is there a canyon there.
Is there a canyon there.

It wasn't obvious at the start of the trail that there was much of a canyon to hike.
Hiking CompanionsHiking Companions
Hiking Companions

Patti & Karl joined us for the hike in Palm Canyon.
Backward glance from the trail.Backward glance from the trail.
Backward glance from the trail.

The canyon produced a great echo..echo..echo.
Hiking to the palmsHiking to the palms
Hiking to the palms

Mike crossed to the other side of the canyon to climb closer to the palm trees.
Palm TreesPalm Trees
Palm Trees

Growing high up in the crevice were naturally occurring palm trees.
Close enoughClose enough
Close enough

Mike got to the base of the crevice below the palm trees.
FormationsFormations
Formations

Along the canyon walls were several of these shallow caves. Big enough for an animal to make a dwelling.
Crystal HillCrystal Hill
Crystal Hill

The elevation at the summit is just short of 2,000 feet.
Karl Hiking Crystal HillKarl Hiking Crystal Hill
Karl Hiking Crystal Hill

We were all glad to have our walking sticks as we hiked the trail up Crystal Hill.
Stacey on the hillStacey on the hill
Stacey on the hill

There was a lot of loose rock on the path. Stacey never seems to have a challenge climbing.
Getting close to the topGetting close to the top
Getting close to the top

Mike is not fond of heights. He was feeling good about how far he had already come!
CavesCaves
Caves

On the way down, we explored a cave.
King of Crystal Hill King of Crystal Hill
King of Crystal Hill

Walt was the first to the top! Amazing view from on high.
View from the TopView from the Top
View from the Top

There were sheer dropoffs around these brave ladies!
Crystal huntingCrystal hunting
Crystal hunting

You can't come to Crystal Hill and not look for crystal. We all found at least one. Of course, Stacey found the biggest, most intact crystal. She has the knack.
Saguaro CactusSaguaro Cactus
Saguaro Cactus

This gives you an idea of how tall some of these cacti can be. They only grow about one inch per year!


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb