Hysterical Journey to Historic Places


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
May 16th 2014
Published: May 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

BOOKENDS



A new World War II memorial has recently been completed at the Wesley Bolin Mall on the grounds surrounding the state capitol in Phoenix, AZ. The new memorial is being called “The Bookends” and it features a 14 inch main gun from the USS Arizona and a 16 inch main gun from the USS Missouri. In between the guns are panels listing the names of sailors who served aboard those two battleships. The Arizona was sunk by skulking Japs during the sneak attack at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. When Emperor Tojo finally persuaded the Japs to surrender, after we nuked them twice, they did so in Tokyo Bay aboard the Missouri. The main guns signify both the start and the end of the bloodiest and the worst war ever fought. The Bookends are a compelling reminder of what that war has cost in human suffering. To get there take the Van Buren exit from I-17 and go east about five blocks to 17th Ave. Turn south on 17th and go two blocks to Jefferson. Turn left on Jefferson to the parking lot entrance in the middle of the block to the left. Be careful of the damned one way streets.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.2062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb